Post by Manfred »

Who did he XXXX off?
It ain't over until it's over.
Trump24
Freshman
Freshman

Re: BG Boys HC position open

Post by Trump24 »

Unfortunately, some influential parents are responsible for this travesty. Chris devoted his time and talent over the past decade to the BG basketball program and he and his players had success like BG boy’s basketball hasn’t seen for decades. They were winning and doing it with class. He developed his players on the court and was influential in developing good young men off the court. This is a sad day for BG. It is not representative of the values they claim to live by and their reputation and basketball program will suffer irreparable damage. As a lifetime marauder, on this day I’m disappointed and embarrassed. Who sat down at a meeting and thought, I have a great idea….let’s fire one of most successful, respected coaches. Doesn’t make sense
lhacbigfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by lhacbigfan »

Anyone from BG have any insight? They will have a pretty tough time finding a coach comparable to Drenning.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

He wasn’t playing someone’s kid enough. It’s a joke.
Tussey Mt. fan
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Tussey Mt. fan »

Trump24 wrote:Unfortunately, some influential parents are responsible for this travesty. Chris devoted his time and talent over the past decade to the BG basketball program and he and his players had success like BG boy’s basketball hasn’t seen for decades. They were winning and doing it with class. He developed his players on the court and was influential in developing good young men off the court. This is a sad day for BG. It is not representative of the values they claim to live by and their reputation and basketball program will suffer irreparable damage. As a lifetime marauder, on this day I’m disappointed and embarrassed. Who sat down at a meeting and thought, I have a great idea….let’s fire one of most successful, respected coaches. Doesn’t make sense
100% Truth! Complete embarrassment for BG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tussey Mt. fan
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Tussey Mt. fan »

guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

I’ll preface my statement with saying I am not affiliated with BG so I don’t know if there is any truth to this….. but…

I was told from a few people I do know from BG that the issue they had with Drenning was that he forced his main players to be basketball 365 days a year and discouraged them from playing any other sports. And unless you were reallly good if you defied that you had no chance to play….

… again just what I heard. Take it for what it’s worth 🤷‍♂️
Trump24
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Trump24 »

That sounds like a parent complaint. Coaches want to win and in order to accomplish that, they play their best players. In the old days, the best athletes played both and started in both sports. Today’s athletes specialize and that separates them in many but not all situations. Basketball is a highly skilled sport and typically 6-8 players get time.
Many good football players over the past decade have started or were first off the bench for Drenning: Kiessiwetter, Mccloskey, Trybus, gormley, Chadbourn, etc.
It’s just not correct to judge a successful coach this way. Wheeler wants 100% commitment as well. He has the advantage of offense, defense, and special teams to highlight the best athletes. Girls basketball under Moschella discouraged AAU, the school play, and other sports. Some girls were penalized if they participated in these other activities.
Anyone who would take on the Boys job is crazy. They want someone who can get the success of Drenning without the full commitment to winning. I thought the “everyone gets a trophy days” were over. I thought BG was about competition and excellence. Obviously, I was wrong
HoopsFan33
Freshman
Freshman

Post by HoopsFan33 »

If that’s true, that’s a shame. They are only kids once…let them get a fuller, richer experience. Also, if you ask most college scouts and coaches, they will tell you that they prefer multi-sport athletes. They are more well- rounded athletes, better at time management, have a higher ceiling, etc. Plus, if you are playing only one sport, at this age, most kids are going to get burnt out or apathetic.