Grad Assistant

FAIR or UNFAIR advantage?

Post by sasquatch260 »

CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: FAIR or UNFAIR advantage?

Post by CCDevil2012 »

That would be hilarious if every school started doing this for every weight class until something is changed. It’s ironic their fans were complaining about a set of rules benefiting their opponent when their ability to have open borders only benefits them.
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Blueandwhitefan »

CCDevil2012 wrote: February 17th, 2020, 8:57 pm That would be hilarious if every school started doing this for every weight class until something is changed. It’s ironic their fans were complaining about a set of rules benefiting their opponent when their ability to have open borders only benefits them.
When are we getting the Bump button back!!!!
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Sounds familiar. Westmont never actually went through with it when they wrestled McCort, right?
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Post by PAMDGrappler »

I don't believe Westmont actually sent any girls out. They may have weighed them in, but I don't think they took the mat. That being said, ND-GP is exploiting the open border thing to the extreme. How is it fair that they can have kids from New York, New Jersey, and Delaware competing in the PENNSYLVANIA State Wrestling Championships? Public school transfers are ruled ineligible if they move within the county, yet these kids are crossing state borders with no restraint. I wish more of the teams at Hershey would have used girls in the lineup and sent ND home after two matches.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

There will be an increase in the future of the sport, of participants like Grace Stem (BEA) and Alayna Gil (PC) who can actually wrestle, and compete, against da boiz. Some of the most-cheered matches this past weekend involved those 2 wrestlers, from the entire gym crowd. Not just 'window dressing' to circumvent the Catholics, although I for one have no problem with that option.
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Westmont wasn't so mad about the open borders thing as I would understand it, they were mad McCort broke off their co-op agreement.
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Post by PAMDGrappler »

I agree that there were probably some ill feelings due to the ending of the co-op, but the heart of the issue was absolutely the open border rule considering McCort had wrestlers coming from Indiana, Bedford, United, Johnstown, Ferndale, and Westmont. The point of my post was that ND-GP and other catholic schools shouldn't be crying about teams using the rules to even out the unfair playing field that exists for catholic schools with respect to the open boundaries. Saucon Valley and Reynolds are tremendous programs that are home grown top to bottom. Those coaches work with the kids and families from elementary through high school. And then they have to compete against a team who brings in a nationally ranked state champ in addition to 3 other studs who don't even call Pennsylvania home? That's absolutely ridiculous. I would certify a girl at every weight class if they were on my schedule.
upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by upnorth »

I don't know the first thing about ND-GP, but sending out females who really aren't wrestlers just to secure forfeit points also sends the message that it is okay to exploit high school girls for athletic purposes. If you have a legit female wrestler like Grace Stem at BEA, then go for it. I have a hard time with rostering a non-wrestler for this purpose, which allegedly Westmont did for the dual meet in December 2016 that was eventually cancelled due to weather and not rescheduled (Source: https://www.tribdem.com/sports/female-w ... dee82.html)