What say you?

Goooooooaaaaaaaalllllllllll
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Re: What say you?

Post by CharlieConway »

I'd love your definition, but I guess for now I will throw mine out.  

Well being a dude has a lot to do with this thing called talent.  

You can play against the greatest competition in the world, but if you don't have talent, it doesn't matter.

You can do all the pushups you want, read all the books, study the game, hope, drink milk, take vitamins, say your prayers, it does not matter.
Thanks!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

AAU doesn't make basketball players or division one athletes, I know that. I'm not really arguing against that. Though what are the percentages of men's basketball players in the NCAA D1, D2, D3 that played AAU, probably pretty high, right? So there's that.

But playing as much basketball as you possibly can makes you a better player, that much we agree on right?  

So what are the alternatives to play competitive basketball year round? AAU is obviously a broken, strange system, but it's the only one that allows kids to keep playing basketball competitively beyond November-March.
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

But Crimson, if you pay me $300 and come to my AAU tryout, I will tell you....you are a dude!!   =))

That would be a lot of these AAU Jokesters would say you can develop talent.  Just a small fee!

I like it when it is put on a tee for me.  
Thanks!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Ah, so your gripe is with the local AAU teams, it seems. Not the system at large. Then that's a different thing we're arguing obviously.
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:AAU doesn't make basketball players or division one athletes, I know that. I'm not really arguing against that. Though what are the percentages of men's basketball players in the NCAA D1, D2, D3 that played AAU, probably pretty high, right? So there's that.

But playing as much basketball as you possibly can makes you a better player, that much we agree on right?  

So what are the alternatives to play competitive basketball year round? AAU is obviously a broken, strange system, but it's the only one that allows kids to keep playing basketball competitively beyond November-March.
I will agree with you there.  If youre local HS coach isnt putting in work with summer leagues and off-season open gyms, thats sad.  AAU is the only option for some.
I just hate the lie they sell these kids.  ....
Bobby Sue, took the money and run.
Thanks!
Lionjacket
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Lionjacket »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:How does one become a dude?  Playing against Somerset and McCort in the LHAC? Shooting hoops in the backyard?
To become “a dude” you simply have to be coached by the greatest coach of all time....the man who can get any player college looks at any time...the heir to the US Men’s National Team coaching throne...CharlieConway. 
Getoffmylawn
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Getoffmylawn »

Conway must have gotten cut from his AAU squad thus all the bitterness
Jimjohn81
Senior
Senior

Post by Jimjohn81 »

What program do you coach Charles? 
Getoffmylawn
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Getoffmylawn »

Conway, you need to get out of your district 5/6 bubble and experience the whole big world out there where not everyone worships at the altar of HS sports. You don’t have to like AAU or travel teams but the reality is that despite all its flaws, it is the better exposure model for kids wanting to play in college. There is no question that the community pride generated by winning teams is something special but it is the goal of everyone. That does not make them stupid or selfish.
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

Lionjacket wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:How does one become a dude?  Playing against Somerset and McCort in the LHAC? Shooting hoops in the backyard?
To become “a dude” you simply have to be coached by the greatest coach of all time....the man who can get any player college looks at any time...the heir to the US Men’s National Team coaching throne...CharlieConway. 
JimJohn you know I cant reveal that lol. But lets just say this "dude" has got more than 5 career varsity wins. 

And lets just say Im a dude that doesnt like people getting taken advantage of. And the local AAU crowd is guilty as charged. 

Im in it for the kids and for them to have a great experience. And it is truly disappointing that the local AAU crew is exploiting and causing a lot of problems. Sending the wrong message and flat out lying to kids and their parents. 

I find immense humor is clowing on a forum and poking with a stick from a distance with a screenname. 

If your in the AAU crew, just do me a favor, stop with the lies, and CharlieThorConway will drop his hammer. Just be straight up with the kids and the parents. If you dont know, dont make it up or wing it. 

This is a great area with a lot of great roots. Dont lie, be honest, and do it for the kids. Not your own personal agenda. 

Thanks!