USC & UCLA to BIG10 spells doom for Pitt

The name says it all!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: USC & UCLA to BIG10 spells doom for Pitt

Post by abpk2903 »

I don't think we can look at it with only a "last 10 years" outlook. Alabama and Ohio State are on quite a run. But 10 years from now, they could be Nebraska and Tennessee. 50 years from now they might be going through another cycle of dominating. The 1990s were dominated by Florida State and Nebraska. The 1980s were Penn State and Miami. You don't know how the chips are going to fall down the road. To say, only 10 teams can win a national title in the near future is sort of not true. 2-4 teams sort of always dominate college football. You just don't know who it will be next.

After the conference realignment...the top 25 schools for annual revenue (which is ultimately the one thing you need to have to have any chance at competing for titles) are as follows:

SEC - 12 (Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, South Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss)
B1G - 8 (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Wisconsin)
ND
Pac 12 - 2 (Washington and Oregon)
ACC -2 (Florida State and Clemson)

12 of the top 13 programs are SEC or Big 10 (only outliner is ND at #8). Florida State is T-15th and Clemson is 25th. Oregon is T-15 and Washington is 18th.

It is very hard to find a National Champion that is not on this list. Miami is really the only team with sustained success that is not in the top 25 of revenue.

Crimson, Pitt was very good in 2016. I honestly think that Pitt team was better than last year's team.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

abpk2903 wrote: July 11th, 2022, 12:40 pm I don't think we can look at it with only a "last 10 years" outlook. Alabama and Ohio State are on quite a run. But 10 years from now, they could be Nebraska and Tennessee. 50 years from now they might be going through another cycle of dominating. The 1990s were dominated by Florida State and Nebraska. The 1980s were Penn State and Miami. You don't know how the chips are going to fall down the road. To say, only 10 teams can win a national title in the near future is sort of not true. 2-4 teams sort of always dominate college football. You just don't know who it will be next.

After the conference realignment...the top 25 schools for annual revenue (which is ultimately the one thing you need to have to have any chance at competing for titles) are as follows:

SEC - 12 (Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, South Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss)
B1G - 8 (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Wisconsin)
ND
Pac 12 - 2 (Washington and Oregon)
ACC -2 (Florida State and Clemson)

12 of the top 13 programs are SEC or Big 10 (only outliner is ND at #8). Florida State is T-15th and Clemson is 25th. Oregon is T-15 and Washington is 18th.

It is very hard to find a National Champion that is not on this list. Miami is really the only team with sustained success that is not in the top 25 of revenue.

Crimson, Pitt was very good in 2016. I honestly think that Pitt team was better than last year's team.
2016 was fun to watch with the Matt Canada offense clicking, but the 2021 was considerably more talented at almost every position except OL. I think the 2016 defense was ranked 129 out 130 teams.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

2016 team beat 2 P5 conference championship teams and lost on the road by a TD to #11 Oklahoma State. Playing those 3 teams I'm sure didn't help the defensive statistics.

2021 team beat #14 Clemson and #15 Georgia Tech.

I honestly think that 2016 team would beat last year's team.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Eh, we'll have to disagree there. The 2016 team had a fun offense, I'll give them that.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Anyway back to the topic at hand, I saw recently the SEC's preference is to stay at 16 teams for now. I mean that's all well and good, but they could change their mind tomorrow given the state of how all this works. That's kind of how this works, it can change in a day.

I also see University Cal board of regents is looking into UCLA's move with potential legal action. The thought was that those twos schools would always be aligned, so it is kind of amazing nobody from UCLA spilled the beans throughout the process and snuck that over the whole University of California system. It's almost hard to fathom, but we'll see what, if anything comes of it.

I'm kind of excited for the season, because we're kind of getting repetitive at this point in the news cycle. Every national college football writer has summarized their thoughts with a "What happens next?" article. And that's fine, but it's all speculation at this point. If the University of California didn't know UCLA was going to the Big Ten, then Dennis Dodd and Pete Thamel don't know what is going to happen next either. When these moves happen, they drop out of the sky. Texas and Oklahoma caught everyone off guard last year, same thing with USC/UCLA this year. Heck, when Pitt and Syracuse went to the ACC it was in the middle of a college football Saturday. Pitt was playing Iowa and the bottom line started flashing that Pitt was joining the ACC before the game announcers even knew. These moves just kind of happen suddenly. I'm looking forward to actual football to kind of break the monotony of the same things being regurgitated.