2019 Baseball Season Predictions

The name says it all!
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Re: 2019 Baseball Season Predictions

Post by PAMDGrappler »

Agreed. I think somewhere between 70-80 wins. Frustrating bc I still feel they’re one legit, middle of the order bat away from being a contender.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Watch "Ground Hog Day" it's more satisfying with the same basic premise as the Bucs.
It ain't over until it's over.
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Post by PAMDGrappler »

How frustrating it must be to be a pitcher on a team when you know that you have to be pretty much perfect to win.  If you make one or two mistake pitches, you're probably taking an "L" because of little to no offensive support and below average defensive support.  I was actually ok with Hurdle leaving Taillon in to start the 7th.  After the first two batters though, it was obvious he was fatigued as every pitch was up.  I coached HS baseball, and I always had the approach with pitchers late in a tight game that they're going to go batter by batter.  They get one base runner.  Personally, I would've pulled him after the HR, but I understand giving him another guy.  He should've been pulled after the walk.  It's easy to second-guess coaching decisions so I really try not to.  
My biggest problem with the Pirates is what I stated in a previous post....I don't understand how they can HONESTLY look at the roster they have constructed and feel confident that it can compete for a pennant!  Yes, they have some injuries to start the season, but a professional sports team cannot realistically depend on pure luck to be successful.  Huntington more or less said that they're hoping that 6-7 players can have career years....that's not realistic.  I'm not going to jump of the Jolly Roger after 1 game, but I just can't see this team winning more than 80 games max.  The game has changed, and you have to be able to score runs to win!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Taillon was only at 80 pitches when he started the seventh I think. He just made some mistakes. If he’s the ace and he’s working that efficiently he should be out there.  
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Post by PAMDGrappler »

I agree to an extent. It's also the first game of the season, and he hadn't pitched more than 5 innings in any Spring start. Typically, and rightfully so, managers have a shorter leash early in the season as arms have not been "stretched out" yet and the weather is usually colder. That being said, I had no problem with him taking the hill to start the 7th...I guess I would've liked to seen a shorter leash, particularly in a tight game, as he began the inning showing signs of fatigue. If they were up by 5 runs, let him stretch it out. In a tie game, you should play your best hand to get the win. Then again, maybe Clint felt more confident in Taillon than the bullpen....that's why he gets the big bucks, lol!
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Post by PAMDGrappler »

The only good part of this team is the starting rotation, and it’s completely wasted.  Through 4 games, the bullpen and defense have been awful, and the offense has been inept at best (they have been gifted leads in each game via walks and errors...I just looked and 7 of the top 11 position players are batting under .200.....wow, just wow.). 

The Pirates certainly have been as advertised!  As Dennis Green famously said, “they are who we thought they were”!  I sincerely feel bad for the starting pitchers.  In fact, there’s a good chance Williams wouldn’t have won had he not helped his own cause at the plate!  
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Nothing drives me more mad then the walks. Let them hit a homerun for all I care. Just hit the strikezone.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

They're getting on base, but not hitting the runs in. They aren't striking out a bunch either. Just hitting a ton of groundouts.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

They really should be 4-0 if it weren't for some blowups in the seventh inning, been pleased with the starting pitching for sure.  But at the same time, they need to cash in at the plate a little more and those 3 run games would be 6-7 run games.  Left a lot of guys in scoring position last night. 
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:They really should be 4-0 if it weren't for some blowups in the seventh inning, been pleased with the starting pitching for sure.  But at the same time, they need to cash in at the plate a little more and those 3 run games would be 6-7 run games.  Left a lot of guys in scoring position last night. 
Winning run on second in the 9th with no outs and you don't bunt him over. I know Yadi is good, but that's an easy no brainer. We're not bad at all, we're frustrating. I think we're one solid piece away from being very good. Someone has to be a consistant .300 hitting in the middle of the lineup. Marte, Bell, Kang, Dickerson, Moran, Frazier, Melky, Cervelli, Diaz at some point...there's enough bat talent there to do work. I'd have Moran in every day and play Kang in the middle spots. Bring McHenry out of the press box to stop passed balls.