abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

College Football Week 3

Post by abpk2903 »

[font=Calibri]Local Games:[/font]

[font=Calibri] [/font]

[font=Calibri]#13 Penn State vs Pitt:  12:00 ABC; Penn State -17[/font]

[font=Calibri]The final installment this renewed 4 game series will be played.  All three of these games have been very competitive at halftime but only one of the previously three had a climatic ending.  Pitt started strong last week jumping on Ohio but couldn’t ever really get much separation after the opening 20 minutes.  Any win over a Frank Solich Bobcat team is difficult and I was very impressed by the defense of the Panthers. Penn State couldn’t get going at all in the first half but a 28 point 3[sup]rd[/sup] quarter actually led them to cover the 31.5 point spread. [/font]

[font=Calibri]I think this game will be closer to the first installment of the series than the last.  Penn State has some very talent young players but with that I struggle to see them being able to come out and outplay Pitt for 60 straight minutes.  Buffalo beat Penn State handily for 33 minutes last week but that talent gap allowed them to still win by nearly 5 TDs.  Pitt is better than Buffalo and if they beat Penn State handily for over a half, Pitt’s lead may be insurmountable.  I don’t know where Pitt can score the points to win this game, though.  I really think this is a team that is winning by scoring in the twenties or losing by scoring in the teens all year long.  Pickett at some point is going to have to become more than just a game manager if Pitt is going to get into the ACC race or compete over the next few weeks.  They don’t have the rushing attack to have success without him making plays like they did last year. I really like Ffrench against Penn State’s slot corner matchup. Penn State is deeper in both of their fronts and will rotate guys.  For a game that is starting at noon and being played around 80 degrees, this will become a factor.  Pitt leads early but…[/font]

[font=Calibri]Penn State 27 Pitt 16[/font]

[font=Calibri] [/font]

[font=Calibri]Another Game to Watch:[/font]

[font=Calibri]Iowa State vs #19 Iowa: 4:00 FS1; Iowa -2[/font]

[font=Calibri]This is probably one of the most overlooked rivalries in college football.  Both of these programs are kind of at a peak from where they have been historically making this one of the biggest games in series history.  Gameday will be in Ames, Iowa for the first time.  Iowa has had a steady hand leading the Hawkeyes for several decades in Kurt Ference but Iowa State has one of the most sought after young coaching minds in the country in Matt Campbell.  Iowa has looked good through 2 weeks blowing the doors off of both Miami (OH) and Rutgers while Iowa State needed triple overtime to beat Northern Iowa (FCS opponent).  I think Iowa State at home coming off a bye will be a little too much for an Iowa team that really hasn’t been tested.[/font]

[font=Calibri]Iowa State 31 Iowa 30[/font]
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: College Football Week 3

Post by EaglealumsGhost »

Psu should win going away. But I really doubt they win at all... 79 rush yards vs Buffalo (49 from Clifton, most on 1 run)..... Pitt wins tight one
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

abpk: Did you mean climatic or climactic? There was one of each in two of the last 3 games in the series. Last year, with all the rain and bad weather, the game was CLIMATIC. The first game was CLIMACTIC, with the intense ending as McSorley threw that interception to give Pitt the victory.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Yes, climactic.   Autocorrect.