Steelers discussion

The name says it all!
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Steelers discussion

Post by CCDevil2012 »

You haven’t seen bad coaching until you’re a Penn State fan and your coach doesn’t kick a FG with 11:00 min left in the game down 12, only to lose by 5. I’m a Franklin fan, but that’s on him. 
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

At 5-4, and the performance on the field.  I must eat some crow.  I was incorrect, Tomlin's job performance over the past few weeks has been a lot better than most.

Some changes I have noticed, team behavior!  I believe the discipline can be contributed to much of the success.  The antics on the field and the excessive celebrations have stopped.  The players have bought into a team concept rather than "look at me."  Perhaps the departure of two problematic players (Brown and Bell) have allowed Tomlin to take back over his locker room.

My two biggest knocks on Tomlin have been stated on this forum that I believe his game management and team discipline have been below "the standard."  He has answered the bell on the discipline front.

I am not the first person to point fingers and questions Tomlin's leadership style and discipline.  National media, Pittsburgh sports writers and even former players have gone public about Tomlin's lack of discipline.  

Trade rumors to the Redskins and the constant scrutiny from the media probably HELPED push Tomlin in a direction to make some changes with how he handles the locker room.

Either way, he may have very well saved his job and a potential trade out of Pittsburgh.  Its obvious that he has made changes.  What triggered them, who knows.  It surely wasn't a middle aged man on a forum in central PA.  Maybe the heat all around him was enough to inspire him.

My only gripe would be that I wish the discipline would have been established years ago and perhaps some of the talented teams may have found themselves playing for championships.

Hopefully he keeps a hold on the locker room and the on field behavior.  Amazing the level of play when players are held accountable for their actions and aren't allowed to "run the show."

He proved me wrong, I didn't think he had it in him.
Thanks!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I sure he is glad to have Charlie Conway's support again.  Now if these kids would just stop celebrating all together and just flip the ball to the referee after every play, they may just have what it takes to win a Super Bowl.
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deepcreek »

I know you are being sarcastic, but I wish that would happen.   Yes, things were better back in my day when players did not try to draw attention to themselves.   
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Love the team celebrations/poses after turnovers. The Defense seems to feed off the energy and they look to be enjoying playing together. 
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

I think the notion that previous versions of the team had no dicipline. If we learned anything from Antonio Brown this year is he was probably held in check to the best that he could of for years.

As far as why they are succeeding, the young defensive players have matured and have grown this year. That core of players recently drafted in their 20s have started coming into their own and hit that level. Plus addition of others, like fitzpatrick, have added to the back end of the steelers defense that was weak before. Its almost like this franchise has always been great at drafting and finding talent
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Or maybe, just maybe, nothing at all has changed besides the fact they haven’t played the Patriots, Ravens, Seahawks, and 49’s. The 4 best teams in football right now. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

deepcreek wrote:I know you are being sarcastic, but I wish that would happen.   Yes, things were better back in my day when players did not try to draw attention to themselves.   
Is it the fate of everyone to grow old and miserable?
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

I figured a post from me would bring out the "Boy Band."  :x  You guys are all soo cute!! 

Its nice to know that no matter what comes out from Charlie, you don't like it.  Just because "Charlie said it."  LOL.  

Can we please run some class poles, elect a class president?  I got a pretty good suggestion for "cutest couple."

Have a good one boys!!
Thanks!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Winning tonight probably puts them in a great position for playoffs. Im still not sold this team can keep the streak up, mainly because the offense is so desimated with injuries, but if that gets going even a small part this team becomes one of the top few in the AFC