Had to be from Johnstown

The name says it all!
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Had to be from Johnstown

Post by El-Moldo »

If Petersen sent a letter to Antonio Shelton and tells him that his friend Sutherland has ugly hair, Shelton has two choices. He should ignore it and throw the letter away, or tell Sutherland about the letter. But in NO way should he broadcast it over twitter for all the world to see. It would then be Sutherland's choice if he wants others to know about it. It would then be Sutherland's responsibility if all heck breaks loose.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Good thing Shelton made the right decision and decided to tweet it out to bring to light the racist fan in our own backyard. 

Dave should have used much better judgment, and kept his mouth shut or in this case, kept Microsoft Word closed. 
Crimsoncrush67
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Crimsoncrush67 »

You could always just... I don’t know not send the letter to begin with. If it didn’t exist then this wouldn’t be an issue correct?
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Those are interesting thoughts from both crimsons. Yes, could Petersen have kept his opinion to himself. Sure. But a lot of people don't do that. So Shelton took it upon himself to raise a stink over what ONE guy said? Shelton gave his opinion vs what Petersen said. One guy's opinion against another guy's opinion. One guy answering another guy. Really wasn't worth it, was it?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

So your premise is: Don't embarrass the old guy with a backwards way of thinking, just ignore him so he can keep harassing young athletes with mail. 

Does that sound right?  

Hopefully this will be an educational experience for Dave (judging by his comments in the paper - it hasn't been), but at least he'll probably stop harassing Penn State players moving forward. 
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

My premise is, sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me. If Sutherland would have ignored him, the old guy might have stopped harassing others. But to edge him on solved nothing.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

That seems more like a possibility than an exact fact of what would have happened. Dave could have continued to bother student athletes just as easily as your scenario. No way of knowing really. But I still think the Penn State kid did the right thing of outing the racist. 
everett
Junior
Junior

Post by everett »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:That seems more like a possibility than an exact fact of what would have happened. Dave could have continued to bother student athletes just as easily as your scenario. No way of knowing really. But I still think the Penn State kid did the right thing of outing the racist. 
'Outing the racist'???  While the old man is not the best with his words, or old-school thoughts, I interpreted nothing from his ramblings that he was a racist.  Good lord everyone is just chomping at the bit to throw that 'R' word around.  What if he wrote this to a white kid with messy or long hair?  Would everyone be so caught up in this? 
I'm sure this is the same type of old man that would bust a white kids balls about 'looking like a hippie with long hair', or having tatoo's, etc.  This does not mean he is a racist.  It means he is an old man who grew up in a different era, not a racist. 
everett
Junior
Junior

Post by everett »

And WTF is 'had to be from Johnstown' subject line?????? Not sure at all what that had to do with this topic?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

everett wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:That seems more like a possibility than an exact fact of what would have happened. Dave could have continued to bother student athletes just as easily as your scenario. No way of knowing really. But I still think the Penn State kid did the right thing of outing the racist. 
'Outing the racist'???  While the old man is not the best with his words, or old-school thoughts, I interpreted nothing from his ramblings that he was a racist.  Good lord everyone is just chomping at the bit to throw that 'R' word around. 
One of his letters to the editor was pretty Islamophobic, so I think it's fair to call a spade a spade.