Egg Bowl

The name says it all!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Egg Bowl

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I’m sure everyone has seen the highlights of the Ole Miss-Mississippi State game last evening. If you haven’t, basically Ole Miss was down by 7 late in the game. They needed a miraculous length of the field drive to tie it. They completed an improbable 4th down play at one point and got down inside the ten. Eventually Ole Miss scored, but in the end zone the Ole Miss receiver did a celebration that mimicked a dog taking a pee (I guess that’s a jab at MSU since their nickname is the Bulldogs). He was flagged and MSU elected to have the penalty enforced on the extra point with 4 seconds left. Kid missed the extra point and Ole Miss lost 21-20.

Incredible, really. Having said that, the ending has to be one of the dumbest ways to lose a game in history. Just the sheer stupidly and ridiculousness of it all.

So had me thinking, if everyone thought back what have been some of the dumbest endings to a game you have ever seen? Any sport, any level.

That has to rank high. Chris Webber calling a timeout when he didn’t have one in the final 4 also comes to mind. Any others?
sportsfan1072
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Egg Bowl

Post by sportsfan1072 »

Here's one, not stupid, but really unfortunate and crazy: (I took the below from the Westminster College Football Website)

The Titans battled back from being behind 30-14 in the third quarter and took their first lead with 3:49 left in the game, 41-37, when senior Keano Grice (Delray Beach, FL / West Boca Raton) scored on a 40-yard run. Grove City drove down the field and had 4th-and-goal at Westminster's six-yard line with 12 seconds left. Titan senior Paul Gonzalez (Miami, FL / Florida Christian) stopped the threat with an interception, as he jumped in front of the intended receiver, right beyond the goal before a raucous Westminster crowd. Westminster rushed it up the middle in hopes to run out the clock and get the ball out of the end zone, however, the ball was fumbled and Grove City recovered it at the Titans' one-yard line. With eight seconds left and no timeouts, Grove City ran a quarterback sneak with Josh Ehst and scored the winning touchdown as the clock expired.
Last edited by sportsfan1072 on November 29th, 2019, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Gosh out here in PNW there is easily one that comes to mind.

Around a minute left in the game, you make a miracle catch to get 1st and goal. You run on 1st down to the 3 yard line, a gain of 4 yards, because you have the best back in the league in short yard situations. You have 1 time out so clock isnt an issue. You line up 2nd down and 3 to a TD in a spread formation, throw a slant that gets picked off and you lose the game. Some may say running the ball with that A+ back should of been the play as it was working all game but that team just wanted to be fancy and it cost them.

Good ole seachickens losing their superbowl 😂😂😂
sportsfan1000
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by sportsfan1000 »

1993 Junior Varsity game. Greater Johnstown vs Greensburg Salem. I will never forget this as long as I live.

Johnstown was winning. Not sure by how much. About 10 seconds left. GS has ball at midfield. They throw a hail mary, pass was intercepted by Johnstown. The Johnstown player started running. The final siren went off. Without downing the ball the Johnstown player runs up to a GS player and flips him the ball. The GS player catches it and runs it in for a game winning touchdown.

If I remember correctly Sam Ross wrote an article about it. He didn't mention what teams were involved. If I remember correctly the headline was something like " When taunting goes wrong".

He used to have a column that went down the left hand side of the front of the sports page. That's where the article was.