Turn the other cheek?

The name says it all!
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Turn the other cheek?

Post by El-Moldo »

After the St. Francis victory over Sacred Heart ended in Loretto on Saturday, a fight broke out while teams were shaking hands. Several skirmishes were witnessed as players and coaches had to separate the participants. Since both are schools with religious affiliations, isn't the standard of "turn the other cheek" still being preached? I know that over the years, religions have changed their philosophies on certain religious matters (such a gay marriage, etc). But shouldn't the "turn the other cheek" teaching still be stressed and in vogue, especially in schools with religious standards.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Turn the other cheek?

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Do schools without religious affiliations preach combative resolutions? Just curious.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

I'm not sure if secular schools mention anything biblical to their players. But you would think that players affiliated with religious institutions have some biblical values instilled into their attitudes on the playing courts and fields. I mean if they are allowed pray prior to the games in the locker room, those players should be aware of how to act should situations get out of hand during and after games. I would expect players at schools like Notre Dame, Boston College, TCU, SMU, St. Johns, etc to act accordingly. At WVU, it might be every man for himself for all I know. Just wondering.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I was just wondering as well.
Tussey Mt. fan
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Tussey Mt. fan »

God’s word has never changed. It’s the same today as it was 2,000 years ago and will be the same forever. So if a “religious institution” and I use that term lightly, has changed their philosophy about “gay marriage “ are they actually following the word of God or are they simply labeled a “religious institution”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Kids are kids, whether they wear khakis or gym shorts to school, sometimes they do dumb things. But even I'm surprised at some of the things I have seen and heard from our local Catholic schools this year. Kids spitting at other kids in the handshake line, kids mocking and laughing at a special needs kid singing the national anthem, multiple unsportsmanlike conduct penalties each game for taunting, late hits, etc...
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Moldy, in case you missed it, Penn State basketball is now ranked 13th...just an fyi
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Not sure what that has to do with "turning the other cheek" (unless Mike Watkins punched someone lately), but yes I saw that. How bad is the Big Ten this year?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

It's going to be like a 10-bid league, so apparently pretty good.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Presently, only 2 teams in the AP top 20. PSU at 13 and Maryland #9. Sounds pretty bad.