NHL announces playoffs coming in july-august

The name says it all!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

NHL announces playoffs coming in july-august

Post by konjo78 »

Today Gary Bettman announced that the NHL will return this summer with a 24 team playoff format.

They will have 2 host cities, 1 for each conference, and format goes as follows.

1. Top 4 teams in points for each conference will play a round robin to determine their seeds in quarterfinals

2. Seeds 5-12 seeds will match up in a best of 5 series to see who advances to face one of the top 4 seeds in quarterfinals.

I think this is going to be extremely exciting and something to look forward to this july/august
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: NHL announces playoffs coming in july-august

Post by Manfred »

Sure, I'm game. No baseball locally, no concerts, no festivals, likely no football camps. I've seen all the old TV shows and movies I care to.
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Pittsburgh has the potential to be the Eastern Conference Hub. Is there a secondary arena they could use besides Consol? Seems like that would be a lot of hockey for one arena.
LeeCorso
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by LeeCorso »

I feel like ice quality is going to be the biggest issue. Whether it is at a different arena or trying to play double headers or trying to play 20 days in a row at Consol.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I guess the Cranberry practice facility will be in heavy use as well. But I'm guessing all games will have to be at Consol, I don't think there's another rink that has the television, press box facilities that could produce a game. I'm guessing most cities don't have two such arenas though.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

I mean i assume these games will not have any crowds so that can make it really easy to set a small arena for TV.

As far as eastern side goes I honestly think torotno being a main target.

If i had to choose id go for toronto for east. then either vancouver, edmenton or minnesota for the west.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Toronto and Philadelphia off the top of my head has a AHL venue in or near the city. I don't think either of those cities are in the running.

Columbus has a great shot, IMO. If Ohio State will allow the NHL to use their facilities, they would be able to have an NHL arena (Nationwide arena) along with Value City Arena at Ohio State. Plus the campus could be used for housing and training facilities for the players.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Potential host cities per espn

Chicago, IL
• Columbus, OH
• Dallas, TX
• Edmonton, AB
• Las Vegas, NV
• Los Angeles, CA
• Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
• Pittsburgh, PA
• Toronto, ON
• Vancouver, BC
LeeCorso
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by LeeCorso »

I heard a few things yesterday. 1. Las Vegas for west city because they lost out on the NBA tourney will be throwing a good deal at the NHL. 2. Pittsburgh may lose out because of practice and training facility distance to Consol. 3. Canadian cities may be out because they have not deemed pro athletes essential as of yesterday and will not waive the mandatory 14 day quarantine for anyone entering the country.
DFFSBA
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by DFFSBA »

Personally I think Columbus is the best choice for the East. I'd love to see it in the 'Burgh but Columbus just seems to make too much sense. For the love of God I hope it's not Chicago with the goofball for a mayor they have.

Someone mentioned ice quality. This has to be concern. In normal years during playoffs, as outside temps warm, ice quality seems to be an issue later in games. I wonder if they shorten periods to accommodate for this or what other measures they could do to keep ice quality safe for players?