BLM Floored

The name says it all!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: BLM Floored

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I think One of Trump’s defining legacies will be him getting the public to not trust the media, even for news stories that are simply factual, he turned anything negative against him into ‘fake news’ which I think has caused some serious ripple effects in our society

It’s fine to question things, I have no problem with that. But the term ‘fake news’ has turned a lot of people’s heads into mush and we’re living in some strange times because of it.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Right, but it is half true. The media usually tells a version of the truth with their spin to it, more lately than before. It's definitely good not to completely trust your single media outlet but to go to apposing outlets as well to get their view and then come up with your opinion. The truth is almost always somewhere in the middle.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
DFFSBA
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by DFFSBA »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: July 8th, 2020, 3:01 pm I think One of Trump’s defining legacies will be him getting the public to not trust the media, even for news stories that are simply factual, he turned anything negative against him into ‘fake news’ which I think has caused some serious ripple effects in our society

It’s fine to question things, I have no problem with that. But the term ‘fake news’ has turned a lot of people’s heads into mush and we’re living in some strange times because of it.
Totally disagree with this. The media has been dishonest long before Trump came into office. He is certainly more vocal about it, but him calling it out does not lessen the corruptness in the media that has existed for 20 years or so. Blaming Trump for the media's failure on practicing unbiased reporting is misdirecting the root of the problem. Again, I'm not a Trumper, but I do appreciate that he has the balls to call out the media for their corruptness.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: July 8th, 2020, 3:01 pm I think One of Trump’s defining legacies will be him getting the public to not trust the media, even for news stories that are simply factual, he turned anything negative against him into ‘fake news’ which I think has caused some serious ripple effects in our society

This really is the truth in many sorts. There is definitely bias in areas, there always was, but every side now will cry fake news. Hell he even contradicts himself half the time when he cries fake news.s
stownJohn
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by stownJohn »

The mainstream media now filters itself through social media which is why you can no longer trust the news at all.
Earl34
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Earl34 »

What I remember is Bill Clinton could do no wrong in the national media eyes. HE LIED TO CONGRESS. Yes it was over a private relationship and did not warrant removal from office. But he was JUST GREAT! Then came poor old W. He was the dumbest man ever alive for 8 years. No he was not perfect but in the national media eyes he was made out a complete buffoon...for 8 years. Then comes our savior Obama. ALL his problems were inherited...for 8 years! Every decision he made was gold standard. His administration was the wisest ever built. No mistakes here...just keep moving. Now Trump...what an unmoral, no good very bad man. Corrupt to the core...noticing a trend??? Fake news did not just start!
wpbc
Senior
Senior

Post by wpbc »

Lol, I clicked to login and post a reply and got hit with an ad for watches with the redskins logo front and center.

Now to my 2 cents on the media rants.

1. The polarization of America really goes back almost 3 decades now with two things, the popularity of cable news and internet sites that focus on their side of the aisle. As people only got their “news” from a few sources those sources found it profitable to go further from the center causing the average American to go further from the center which allows for less dialogue to solve problems.

2. Just because a cable station has “news” in its name doesn’t make the show newsworthy. Whether it’s CNN with Cooper, Lemmon, or Cuomo or Fox with Ingraham , Carlson, or Hannity anything after 5pm (when most people are watching) it is not news anymore. It’s OPINION SHOWS. Just because they are sitting behind a desk looking like the nightly news of old doesn’t make it so. Just because their guests are dressed professionally and have a title like “director of special operations for The American Heritage of Trout Unlimited Freedom Foundation” doesn’t make them an expert in the topic being discussed.

3. What happened to the days at my parent’s house when there was only 3 or 4 choices of stations with the antenna. You could get local news of weather sports and car crashes at 6 and then just 30 min of national news at 6:30. Times were better. At least when it came to the “news”.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

It's 1962. Only got one TV channel, black and white. At 6 pm every weekday was 15 minutes of local news. No fluff, just news. At 6:15 was 5 minutes of weather. Then at 6:20, Bill Wilson hosted Sports Page for 10 minutes. From 6:30 -7:00 was national news with Huntley-Brinkley. NO more news till 11 O'clock. Tonight Show at 11:30. Got to agree with wpbc on this one. Too much OPINION out there all day long.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

El-Moldo wrote: July 9th, 2020, 8:57 am It's 1962. Only got one TV channel, black and white. At 6 pm every weekday was 15 minutes of local news. No fluff, just news. At 6:15 was 5 minutes of weather. Then at 6:20, Bill Wilson hosted Sports Page for 10 minutes. From 6:30 -7:00 was national news with Huntley-Brinkley. NO more news till 11 O'clock. Tonight Show at 11:30. Got to agree with wpbc on this one. Too much OPINION out there all day long.
Where's that "LIKE" button? :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
It ain't over until it's over.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Manny/Moldy, does your radio ever leave from 101.7? Maybe a switch to Rocky 99 in the hopes CCR comes on
If only closed minds came with closed mouths