BLM Floored

The name says it all!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: BLM Floored

Post by konjo78 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: August 28th, 2020, 11:42 am All fair points. So that's why it isn't or shouldn't be #DefundThePolice it should be let's #ReformThePolice. They can change tactics, they can train better, they can find more qualified candidates etc.

I'm all for deescalation until you can't, but we're seeing that just isn't happening in some of these scenarios.

I think it sucks that if you are black at some point when you're young your parents have to tell you to be careful around law enforcement. I didn't get that talk growing up.
I did. Im 100% white and was taught at a young age when you are pulled over or being questioned give them the truth, respect and do exactly as they say.

The defunding argument is the one being presented atm. Again there have been reforms in cities/states the past months, but no one wants to aknowledge that part, just say nothing has been done. Which is putting out an actual lie and misinforming the people, who then start riots.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

It is also advantageous that I didn't see a cop drag my dad out of my house at a young age due to some non-violent crime and get thrown away for most of my childhood. If I would have witnesses that, I might not have a lot of respect for law enforcement. I certainly understand your viewpoint, Crimson. I just think more factors have forged the path to where we are today than cops killing blacks. That certainly is a factor but another big factor is laws that target certain demographics of people (usually poor and minorities). More police encounters is always going to lead to more mismanaged situations. If I am a rich, white 19 year old kid that gets caught with a little bit of coke, I am probably not even taken into custody. If I am a poor 19 year old kid that gets caught with a crack rock, I have a mandatory 20 year jail sentence. It is literally the same drug just one version of it is cheaper. Most psychedelics' only became illegal because they were popular on the west coast with people of Asian decent. The laws were written as a way to easily get those people out of their neighborhood and into the criminal justice system.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

I can agree with everything you said there abpk.
CoffinCorner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CoffinCorner »

So why arent the professional athletes saying anything about the weekly murders in chicago. 73% victims are black, 71 % of shooters are black. Black lives only matter when?

When will we see the " justice for Cannon Hinnant " shirts or warmups.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Has Cannon Hinnant's murderer been arrested?
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

CoffinCorner wrote: August 28th, 2020, 1:51 pm So why arent the professional athletes saying anything about the weekly murders in chicago. 73% victims are black, 71 % of shooters are black. Black lives only matter when?

But What about? what about? what about?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Whataboutism doesn't solve anything either by the way.

What about....China or Chicago or whatever else doesn't make other things any less horrible.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

The point people have about what about topics are pointing out its easy to speak out about something that fits your narrative, but its much harder when it goes agaisnt it/you.

I dont like what aboutisms but you put Black Lives Matter on the court, black lives killed by gang violence should matter too. When you pick and choose which black lives matter, you then become a hypocrite to the point. A hypocrite is definitely 100x worse than a whataboutism statement
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

konjo78 wrote: August 28th, 2020, 2:08 pm A hypocrite is definitely 100x worse than a whataboutism statement
Even when the whataboutism statement is used to mask one's bigotry?
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

CoffinCorner wrote: August 28th, 2020, 1:51 pm So why arent the professional athletes saying anything about the weekly murders in chicago. 73% victims are black, 71 % of shooters are black. Black lives only matter when?

You first half was a solid point.

The 2nd was bad to bring up. The murderer is in custody being charged for the crime they committed. Not to mention the case had nothing to do with chicago, your former point.