Big Ten Football cancelled

The name says it all!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Big Ten Football cancelled

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I think the ACC and SEC will try to play somehow. I think the PAC-12 will ultimately do anything the Big Ten does, so they'll cancel sometime later today. The Big-12 is on the fence by everyone's reporting.

In the end, I bet all five cancel. It'll be a weird look with some leagues trying to play and others sitting at home.

The Big Ten mentioned about trying for a spring season, but most coaches and players don't like that idea. Hopefully we're back to normal by 2021.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: Big Ten Football cancelled

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

Ironically, it seems to me that the geographic area of the Big 10 is doing better right now with the pandemic than the other conference regions. I agree the others will cancel.

My landscaping is going to look great this fall!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I'm not sure, it does seem the ACC and SEC are going to try and pull it off.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

So if OSU wants to play with the SEC (or Nebraska with the Big 12 lol), is there anything stopping them? Are they bound by their league's decisions?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Nebraska has come out and said it will continue to look for opportunities to play this fall.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Basically it sounds like the Big-12 will determine if college football will be played this Fall, which doesn't sound promising but I guess....it is possible.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Some may say the conferences, ACC/SEC, that are pushing forward in areas where the pandemic is worse right now is because those areas are also doing little in pandemic response.

But hey they are just taking the sweden approach as some may say!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

I be willing go bet ACC ends up canceling but SEC pushes through.

One reason why i think the decision to move to spring is smart is potentially less viewership competition. NBA/NHL post seasons will be nearing their most viewed points in sept/oct then baseball after that. Spring football this year would be a much less crowded area to compete with audiences and im sure those numbers are more in the minds of these execs than "health".

Its all about money for power 5 conferences
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

In the viewership department now would be the best time. Most Americans don't watch much hockey. Im not sure how baseballs ratings are but NBAs aren't very good right now. I could be wrong but I think college football draws better than those sports anyways. Depending on if any conferences move forward some Big Ten teams said they will look into playing anyways.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: August 11th, 2020, 3:27 pm Nebraska has come out and said it will continue to look for opportunities to play this fall.
Yeah, I read that. But is it that simple?

I cannot imagine the legalities of all of the broken contracts for schools to play each other, TV broadcasts, sold advertising, vendors at the games, etc.