Pitt Basketball

The name says it all!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Pitt Basketball

Post by abpk2903 »

I was surprised to see that Xavier Johnson is requesting an immediate transfer out of the program? Is there more to this story?

Assuming Champagnie goes the the league, this will seem to be a pretty big step back for the Capel rebuild project.

Less than a decade ago I felt like this program was teetering with becoming a national program that could recruit and compete with anyone in the country. Wondering if the Pitt fans on the board have any insight as to why they just seem to be stuck in the mud since Jamie Dixon departure.

I always was a big Dixon fan but I know many Pitt fans that thought there was a ceiling under his leadership. His worst teams were better than anything they have had since his departure.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pitt Basketball

Post by El-Moldo »

There are 2 old sayings. 1) "I don't fire people, they fire themselves" and 2) "You can't polish a turd". Both pertain to Johnson. And what has Jamie Dixon done so far at TCU? They are 11-10 right now, 4-8 in their conference, with games remaining against Iowa State, Texas Tech, WVU and Texas.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

And one day later 2nd leading scorer Au’Diese Toney enters the portal. Two of top 3 players entering within 24 hours. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by upnorth »

And Au’Diese Toney leaves today: https://triblive.com/sports/pitts-audie ... -mcgowens/

My guess is Champagnie won't be back next year. The immediate future is not bright, but I personally hope Capel gets at least 3-4 more years to get them headed in the right direction.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

El-Moldo wrote: February 25th, 2021, 1:19 pm There are 2 old sayings. 1) "I don't fire people, they fire themselves" and 2) "You can't polish a turd". Both pertain to Johnson. And what has Jamie Dixon done so far at TCU? They are 11-10 right now, 4-8 in their conference, with games remaining against Iowa State, Texas Tech, WVU and Texas.
Maybe Jamie Dixon and Pitt together were a better combination than either of them wanted to admit.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Did Dixon quit or did Pitt drop him?
wpbc
Senior
Senior

Post by wpbc »

Dixon coaching and recruiting in the Big East was a different animal than competing and recruiting for the ACC. Dixon was very good at recruiting out of the NY pipeline which got Pitt players that fit the style of play in the Big East. Since switching conferences they haven’t been able to recruit top end players for the ACC. I would give Capel at least 2-3 more years.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Few things.

1. Dixon and Pitt was on the way down and probably wouldnt of been much different rn if he stayed.

2. The ACC does not allow for the physical, grinding play that made the big east great. Basically the type of team pitt was in the big east just wasnt allowed in the ACC.

3. Basketball has evolved the past 10 years into a jumpshot/3 point heavy game. That was never the Pitt or dixon style.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

There aren't referees tied to the conferences like they are in football. The same crew can do a Pitt/Virginia Tech game then do a Georgetown/Villanova game a few days later. So the ACC doesn't dictate whether the league can have physical, grind it out teams.

For example, the ultimate counterpoint: Virginia.
costanza
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by costanza »

Exactly crimson, which refutes konjo's statement...and the game 10 years ago hadn't already evolved into a jumpshot/3 point game? The 3 point shot has been in effect for over 35 years....