What is D5 thinking?????

PIAA- Track and Field
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

What is D5 thinking?????

Post by old school »

Are you kidding me D5 lowers the standards for districts in boys PV, LJ, TJ, SHOT AND JAV because not enough people qualified in these events. Nice AYSO philosophy...are you going to give participation ribbons to everyone also.

What ever happened with hard work and determination?.....great lesson to teach the kids.
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: What is D5 thinking?????

Post by Head Roadie »

D5 is thinking that 8 competitors in an event doesn't make a competitive event and there are some kids out there who could legitimately place based on the subpar performances to date and deserve to compete. This is the second time this has happened (shot one other year) and not a good indication of depth that it needed to be done in so many boys events. Rule is simple. Less than 12 competitors 3-4 days prior to entry deadline, meet director is authorized to lower standards. Ideal competition is 15-20 per event.

If you'll recall, once upon a time there were NO qualifying standards in D5. Everyone got in.
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by old school »

Sorry HR I completely disagree with what D5 is doing. If you don't make the cut work a little harder in the off season. My daughter didn't qualify last year for the 3200 and she worked her a$$ off during the off season and she is going to be seeded 2nd or 3rd going into districts. Do you think she would have worked as hard as she did if they would have changed the time last year? I think kids are handed everything on a silver spoon and it is killing their work ethic.
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

Old School...I understand where your coming from, really I do and not upset by your opinion.
From the other side understand that with kids opting to specialize in a particular race, injuries, and the things that happen at districts it could be a reality that if we don't have 12 in an event, we could easily go from 8 or 9 down to 4 or 5 and that would be a little embarassing to run a district final with not enough kids for all of the places. It almost happened one year in the 800 anyway.

District 5 is taking the same position the NCAA takes in stepping in with a provisional standard to ensure that the event fields have a viable number. This did not even need to be utilized 3 and 4 years ago and was only used in one event last year. I too was alarmed at the amount of events that needed to have this done this year but you have to admit, this is a far cry from 5-6 years ago + when all teams entered full lineups regardless of their competitiveness. The meet, in many peoples opinions, has more of a "championship feel" because of the QS.
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by old school »

HR...thanks for the input and I do understand why D5 is doing this but I still think its going around it the wrong way. I think if they would keep the stadards you would see a overall improvment in D5 track. It may take a few years but things would turn around.....lol....I guess thats why they call me OLD SCHOOL.
play maker
Freshman
Freshman

Post by play maker »

i def. agree old school the "last chance meet" was a pretty big joke...i heard that some of the kids just did events they have never done before just because they wanted to mess around...but it was definitely a joke
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.......Vince Lombardi