Greater Johnstown Area Track & Field

PIAA- Track and Field
wickedcrossover
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Greater Johnstown Area Track & Field

Post by wickedcrossover »

The greater Johstown Area is poorly represented in the PIAA T&F championships this year. The schools within the area of the zip codes 15901 thru 15909 include Johnstown High, Westmont, Richland, Bishop McCort, Ferndale and Conemaugh Valley. Out of all those schools there are only 5 girls and 3 boys representing the area in individual events and one boys relay team and one girls relay team.

The breakdown is as follows:
Johnstown.......0 boys.......0 girls........0 relay teams
Westmont.......0 boys.......0 girls........0 relay teams
Richland.........2 boys.......4 girls........1 boy and 1 girl relay team
McCort...........1 boy........1 girl (brother and sister)......0 relay teams
Ferndale.........0 boys.......0 girls........0 relay teams (Individuals can compete for another school)
Con. Valley......0 boys.......0 girls........0 relay teams (individuals can compete for another school)

I know it's tough to make states; it's not easy, but why don't we have better representation? In addition to that some of the above athletes that made it to states aren't seeded very high in some of their events.
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Greater Johnstown Area Track & Field

Post by usatf oldguy »

The only schools I would call" track" schools out of the ones you listed are richland and westmont.Richland girls are a force year in and out the boys not so much so,westmont used to field some decent boys and girls teams.The whole area is in trouble though the philly effect has really taken hold this year.I looked at seeds and district 12 is loaded in AA.Anyway the locals from district 6 and 5 have there hands full,good luck to all!