FYI - wpial titan

PIAA- Track and Field
wickedcrossover
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: FYI - wpial titan

Post by wickedcrossover »

Good point about the track being fast. I look at the top performances by college runners on http://www.athletic.net (If you're a T&F fan this is a good sight to follow performances throughout the country. You can even break a distance down by Freshmen rankings, sophomore, etc.) Anyway looking at the collegiate rankings in the 1 mile and the 3k the top twenty-five times are dominated by runners in the Husky classic. In the mile 13 of the top twenty -five times in the nation were run at the Husky classic. In the 3k there were 22 runners under the 8:00 minute mark at the classic and 15 of those times are in the top twenty-five in the nation. I just thought that the race was loaded with talent (which it was) but I didn't consider the speed of the track.

The ND race should be interesting being a 350m loop.
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by usatf oldguy »

Never competed in seattle,sounds great though.I can tell you this that the surface makes a huge difference indoors.I was a jumper and can tell you the mondo surafces really give alot back.Been on alot of the indoor tracks on the east coasct and the reggie lewis center was the nicest then either kent state or penn state.The worst were at slippery rock and prince georges down in DC.
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

I ran at Slippery Rock...Gotta love the hallway tunnel around the far turn.

Believe it or not, D3 Haverford College outside of Philly has a fantastic indoor track...300m, fast surface, slightly banked. The 300m track was one of the first oversized tracks in the east, Haverford has had this track since 1987. Villanova used to run races there all the time and try to get qualifiers for NCAA.

PSU's newer facility is also fantastic, especially for a 200m track.

Been to Akron too, very nice indoor facility.

I was also at Arkansas's Tyson Center to watch NCAA indoors in 2006...Awesome facility with seating for about 3,000.

I hear there is a fantatsic facility in Geneva-on-the-Lake, OH outside of Cleveland/Akron that just opened this winter...300m, fast surface, and the only 8 lane indoor track in the country. With 8 lanes, I am told that indoor meets get completed so much more quickly...Here's the link: http://www.gareat.org/track.html
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by usatf oldguy »

Yeah ran at haverford for the philly masters meet.Nice track, springy surface.Would love to go to arkansas, one of the best track schools in the usa.I have seen the facility on tv but have never had the pleasure of competing there.Have to look into the geneva facility. I will say this slippery rock is an expierience that shouldn't be missed.