District 6AA and 5AA Meet results

PIAA- Track and Field
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

District 6AA and 5AA Meet results

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

Any results for the 6AA and 5AA meet today? Looks like the weather cooperated after all.
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
bbsocceralumni
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: District 6AA and 5AA Meet results

Post by bbsocceralumni »

District 5 Boys:
100 Sayler BB
200 Sayler BB
400 Zimmerman NB
400 relay: Chestnut Ridge
1600 relay: ?
3200 relay: Windber
800: Foore TM
1600: Benner NB
3200: ? Last event
110h: Will BB
300h: Burkett W
PV: Young CR
LJ: Detwiler B
TJ: Reed?
HJ: Will BB
Shot: BanksMcC
Discus: Banks McC
Javelin: Rockwood kid
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

hats off 2 the boy from somerset....after finishing 2nd to Patton 4 times...he won the biggest one yet.(48.49) to boot....state meet will be fun.
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

They could go 1-2 at states...but who knows, there may be some magnet school from Philly that participates in class AA who has a :47ish guy...
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
Rambler32
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Rambler32 »

Sayler can flat out fly. and im pretty sure Roddy got the 3200m. n no clue for the 1600m relay
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

WPIAL~Titan wrote:They could go 1-2 at states...but who knows, there may be some magnet school from Philly that participates in class AA who has a :47ish guy...

I know people on here complain about basketball/football and catholic schools. One trip to the state track meet and they would see that the catholic schools pale in comparison to the utter disgrace of private schools, magnet schools, or charter school, or open enrollment allowed in pittsburgh and philly.
"I'm your huckleberry"
Portage Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Portage Alum »

On the girls side, Janae Dunchack from Northern and Angel Piccirillo from Homer stole the show in D6AA. Dunchack was her awesome self winning 4 district titles in the 100 (12.67), long jump (18'0"), and setting meet records in the 200 (25.64) and high jump (5'8"). Good luck at Dartmouth!

Soph Piccirillo is one of the top-ranked high school runners in the country and proved why yesterday by winning 3 district titles against state-proven competition. She set meet records in the 800 (2:15:54), 1600 (4:55:06), and ran a blistering (58.73) in the 400. This kid can name her future, what an incredibly effortless running form.

~PA
brlnsoccerchick19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by brlnsoccerchick19 »

Piccirillo is one beast of an athlete. Anybody, BOY OR GIRL, that is willing to do the 1600m into the 400m is crazy. To be able to perform the way she did, Piccirillo is crazy AWESOME. Good luck to her...I can't wait to watch her again next weekend.
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

I 1000% agree that PIccarillo is an excellent talent in running, and THE single best female mid-distance runner in the District 5/6 area in terms of raw talent, since Cassie Bradley from McCort (who ran around 2:02 for 800m in college at VillanovaU in the early 1980s.)

I watched Piccarillo run the invitational mile at Penn Relays and she controlled the entire race against a nationally reputable field of HS runners. She has effortless form, a silky smooth stride, and ran a posied and tactically sound race in a crowded field in a large stadium.

The sky is definitely the limit with Piccarillo.

Sure, yesterday's performance by this young lady was nothing short of epic and must have been something to watch...BUT I see it in a TOTALLY DIFFERENT WAY, so here's MY RANT:

I have to seriously question the poor decision to run this girl in the 1600m, 400m, and 800m. Did she run a relay too? I did not see.

I want someone to explain to me that why ANY COACH in their right mind would allow a runner to run two high quality races (like the 1600m and 400m) back-to-back not once but REPEATEDLY throughout the season.

The 1600m and 400m are less than 30 minutes apart in an invitational (much less in a dual meet) with the 800m being about 75-90 minutes later (again, much less in a dual meet).

I wonder if that coach will try to run this girl in all 3 of those events at the PIAA meet?

It is my opinion that any coach who repeatedly does this to a young athlete has no concern for the athlete's LONG TERM well being and has no clue how to properly train, or peak a runner for key events. Having an athlete do this is simply begging for an injury to occur. The short term glory of doing this will reap no long term gains. Any well schooled middle distance coach would tell you the same exact thing that I am saying. I would say that running the girl in those 3 events is "laughable", but to serious track and field folks like me who know middle distance running and training, it is not funny at all but ALARMING to me, knowing how potentially detrimental such a foolish racing schedule could be to this young lady's development as a runner. I have spoken to several collegiate coaches and a few former and current national and world class runners and all agree with what I am saying 100%.

This all makes me wonder what the girl's training is like. It's easy to say that "The coach must be doing SOMETHING right if she is that good", but again, her winning all 3 of those races comes down to TALENT rather than training at this level...It is definitely not looking at the big picture.

Running Piccarillo in those 3 events, plus, probably a relay, is incredibly irresponsible and incompetent coaching.

There, I am done.

Author unknown
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

I echo your sentiments Titan. Surely, surely, surely they are not entering her in the 1600 and 400 at states.
I've never EVER seen that series of three running events tied together, let alone to attempt it at the state meet.