District 6AA and 5AA Meet results

PIAA- Track and Field
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: District 6AA and 5AA Meet results

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

The PIAA AA 400m record at the championship meet is still held by my college teammate from SusquehannaU Mike Spangler at 46.36. Mike was a great guy, and a talented runner who could've gone to any D1 school he wanted (had offers from Villanova, Penn State, NC State, and others) but he chose D3 SusquehannaU because he wanted a life in college and didn't want the 3 season commitment that a D1 athlete has to make.

Mike ended up a 6 time all-American at SU, and a 4 time national champ outdoors at 400m, one at 200m. He qualified for the 1988 and 1992 Olympic Trials at 400m, and his 400m PR was something like :45.4. In 1987, I ran a DMR 1200m leadoff leg at Colonial Relays in WIlliamsburg, VA. I split a 3:07 for 1200m and handed off to Spangs who promptly split a :44 high 400m. We had one of the top 10 fastest NCAA D3 DMR times in the country that year, something like 9:58.

The AAA 400m record is still held by Clinton Davis from Steeel Valley of the WPIAL at 46.27.

I think that Gehret has an outside shot at breaking the AAA record but it won't be easy because remember: he will be running two rounds of the 200m before the 400m final on Saturday (including a 200m semi Saturdayt morning), in addition to a prelim in the 400m Friday and probably a 4x4 prelim and possibly a jump as well. Does anyone know for sure what Gehret will be running? Usually start lists for the PIAA meet are up by Monday night or Tuesday morning.
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by usatf oldguy »

One thing wpial he could possible break it in the prelim.If he wants the record I would say that would be when he should go for it as he will be tired.They probably can't rest him and get the 4x4 through.So till he would run it in the finals he will be tired.Altoona will definitely be one of the teams contending for the title so I'm sure the records will be secondary.I hope he gets one of them it would be neat to see an area kid get one!
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

Qualifying athletes are up at piaa.org.

Friday...Gehret will run the following prelims: 400m at 1PM, the 200m at 4PM, and the 4x4 at 4:30PM.

Saturday...Gehret will run the 200m semi at 11:30AM, do the LJ at 12:30PM, the 400m final at 1PM, the 200m final at 2PM, and the 4x4 final at 2:30PM. That's a full day for him. I wouldn't anticipate a PIAA record with that schedule, unless he decides to blast the 400m prelim...Who knows, he may have a sub :21.00 for 200m in him too (PIAA record is 20.86.)
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by usatf oldguy »

Read the seeds and as usual some surprises.Boys aa 100 is weak,girls aa 100 is loaded.The 400 must be fashionable now as these may be the best fields I have ever seen as a whole,lots and lots of quality here.Alot of the locals stand a chance.I think altoona has a legit shot at winning the boys title if they perform.Relays are gonna be tough again,philly is loaded with talent here.Dunchak will have her work cut out as she is only seeded in first by an inch.The windber boy is seeded nicely in the 300 hurdles,also think dibert from bedford has a good chance to secure the first ever shotput medal at states for a district 5 girl.Boys aa triple jump should be a good one with alot of locals having a chance.The girls aa 800 should be a great race too.Overall I can't believe the rate that this meet is improving.The tyrone and somerset boys have their hands full not only with each other but a loaded field.Anyhow GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!
Rambler32
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Rambler32 »

Anybody know what the contraversy was at the finish line for the boys 4x100 relay at District 5 meet?
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

The Banks kid from McConnellsburg is sitting pretty nice in the discus. What controversy?
"I'm your huckleberry"
bbsocceralumni
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by bbsocceralumni »

Rambler32 wrote:Anybody know what the contraversy was at the finish line for the boys 4x100 relay at District 5 meet?
Yeah I don't know what you are talking about. The one that was the most dramatic was the 200. Times came up Sayler 23.03 and Millen 23.03. They went into the hauler and pronouced Sayler the winner by photo finish. Is that what you are talking about?
roadrunner13
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by roadrunner13 »

in all honestly im happy Ian is seeded high in the 100 i cant wait to see him run and tear **** up hopefully he'll get in the 10's! deserves it then come back next year and get even nastier
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by usatf oldguy »

southpaw wrote:
WPIAL~Titan wrote:They could go 1-2 at states...but who knows, there may be some magnet school from Philly that participates in class AA who has a :47ish guy...

I know people on here complain about basketball/football and catholic schools. One trip to the state track meet and they would see that the catholic schools pale in comparison to the utter disgrace of private schools, magnet schools, or charter school, or open enrollment allowed in pittsburgh and philly.
How about west catholic girls outta philly! Are you kidding me check out those times,2 girls 55,56 in 400,2 sub 25sec 200m runners a 47 something 4x100.Recruiting at its finest,it is officially over for relay teams in our area you can't recruit that kind of talent around here let alone have it naturally at one school.What a joke, give the recruiters the trophy now!
bbsocceralumni
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by bbsocceralumni »

roadrunner13 wrote:in all honestly im happy Ian is seeded high in the 100 i cant wait to see him run and tear **** up hopefully he'll get in the 10's! deserves it then come back next year and get even nastier
We'll see. He knows he's gotta run in the 10's to win the gold. Prelims he ran 11.13, so he's well in reach of hitting the 10's.