all weather tracks

PIAA- Track and Field
wpbc
Senior
Senior

all weather tracks

Post by wpbc »

Does anyone know how many schools are out there that offer track but don't have an all weather track available for their athletes? Is Blacklick Valley the only one in D6 and Rockwood in D5? Any other schools in the area or other districts still in this situation?
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: all weather tracks

Post by usatf oldguy »

Not sure anymore.I do remember though back when in district 5 there were alot more cinder tracks than all weather.Ah yes the good old days of blacktop runways,(real fun in the rain),high jump pits with pieces of foam in mesh bags,and polevault pits that were really small. Yes also the 3/4 inch spikes!
brlnsoccerchick19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by brlnsoccerchick19 »

Shade does not have an all-weather track. It's an asphalt track....its been forever since I've been there....I think it only has four lanes??

Also, when I was in high school, there was a cinder track surrounding the soccer field in Kantner (North Star), but they don't sponsor track. Not sure if that's still there or not.
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

Juniata Valley and Southern Huntingdon in the ICC do not have all-weather tracks. They both still run on cinders.
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

Ran at JV's track (and beat Mike Smith at 400m I might add) way back in HS...As I recall, it was dirt rather than cinders.

Other interesting cinder tracks from the 1980s:

Huntingdon...They ran the 200m dash on a straightaway

Bellwood...Fast cinder track, I swear it was 5yds short per lap

Penn Cambria...Long, we measured it with a wheel at 444 yards

Portage...about 330 yards per lap, so starting lines were everywhere

Mount Union...Pretty well groomed cinder and fast, once had to run 9 laps to win the 2 mile because the lap counters messed up, stopped for a good 15 seconds after what I thought was the end of the race and jumped back in, ran the 9th lap and won anyway.
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
Capnweird
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Capnweird »

Southern Huntingdon still does not have an all weather track, they have very soft, poorly groomed cinder track that still utilizes a straight away two hundred, in fact I believe that it is still a 440 yard track (rather than a standard 400 meters) . Juniata Valley uses a dirt track.