CT Track

PIAA- Track and Field
once a runner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by once a runner »

I still disagree that a poor facility is a huge detriment to a track team. There was a girl from CT in the mid 90's....Jessica Haynes, who was a state medalist in the 100 and 200. I think she ran 12.6 and sub 26 in the 100 and 200. Here times obviously were nowhere near that on her home track, but she really took off when she got on fast track. The idea of going to a good facility after practicing on a lousy one is very exciting to an athlete and often gives them more of an adrenalin rush which does help their performances.

If a hurdler can 3 step practicing on ashpalt, they will certainly KNOW they can 3 step on an all weather track. Learning how to do things and training in difficult conditions can have a tremendous psychological advantage when you get to a competition.

If the facilities were that important the schools with the best ones would always have the best teams. The most important aspect of having a good team is having good athletes who are dedicated.
JDB12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by JDB12 »

I agree with you. Back when our old track was still around, and we'd go to Chestnut Ridge for Districts, everyone would be excited to run because their track makes you feel faster, which in turn causes your mind to think, wow I'm going to do really good today! (it's all in your head) The adrenaline rush also plays a big part when it comes to Districts. I know when I ran there, my times went down and jumping distances went up. I like their jumping pits a lot.
CTtrackster
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CTtrackster »

Ya a good track makes a big difference..about the injuries, i know i had shin splints from running all the time. id have to warm up before every time i went at the high jump pit, just so i could get a good jump off with out my shins killing me.
Argg, Pirates.

abee

[marq=left]IUP Marching Band[/marq]
Gunner18
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Gunner18 »

a good track cant make significant improvements, but it CAN help. altoona has probly the best track around and they also have several state medalists every year, including white boys in the sprints (not being racists, but as a whole, white guys arent supposed to be faster than black guys) so possibly their track has something to do with that, who knows
STRAIGHT
JDB12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by JDB12 »

I dunno if that's really true.. I just think it's all in your head, track is just a mind game sport. Last year at States, I noticed a lot of white boys were beating the black boys.. From sprinting, to relays, to long distance.. I just think it's all about who really wants it more.
once a runner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by once a runner »

Altoona does have a great facility, but they also have over 1000 students per grade. I would hope that they could find some fast guys with a population that large. Altoona has put together some very good 4x1 teams, but they have not won many individual medals at states in the sprints.

If a school like Bedford can come up with one guy who runs the 100 in 11.1, then a school the size of Altoona should be able to find 4 or 5 guys who can run it that fast. If you can find 4 guys running 11.1 you will have a good 4x1, but 11.1 won't win you squat in the 100 at state.

I would say Altoona's success has more to do with the size of their school than it does their facility.
da1wally4
Freshman
Freshman

Post by da1wally4 »

cttrackster.. u guys have good distance runners :D hey we have keifer too!
CTtrackster
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CTtrackster »

Ya and five other coaches... SCORE :cheesy: about time, plus no more crappytrack, we get to travel to practice, yehaa. and it starts tues. YES cant wait
Argg, Pirates.

abee

Townshipwrestler
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Townshipwrestler »

where are you guys going to practice
Wrestlers" The best kind of people in the world. The cockiest,dirtiest, most irresponisble group of athletes in the universe. Will get with any broad and come back and tell all his buddies about it. Will booze at least 2 times a week and pretend they are still dedicated. Not afraid to live the dream untill they are 35 then realize they never made it anywhere. Ladies Love us. Guys want to be us. We are the soul of the universe.
CTtrackster
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CTtrackster »

I heard either richland, westmont or somerset. not sure why wed go to somerset, since its forever away.
richland would be cool, same with westmont. West. is only like 10 min from my house, and richland i can just hang at my girlfriends house afterwards :D
Argg, Pirates.

abee