The winner of the 2007 BC/Wade Grimes Memorial Scholarship..

Feature Articles, General Announcements, Etc.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

The winner of the 2007 BC/Wade Grimes Memorial Scholarship..

Post by Coach »

Mike Tomovich of Chestnut Ridge! Thank you to all who applied, and everyone who is a part of making this happen.

Now some info on Mr. Tomovich!

The topic of the paper- It was to have this type of theme- What do high school sports mean to you?

Athletic experiences have positively affected me throughout my entire life. From pee-wee wrestling to varsity football, athletics have always been a prominent part of my life. There is more to be gained from athletic activities than just physical fitness or strength. Athletics as a whole build tolerance and key values essential to life. The experience that I have acquired through the competition, sportsmanship, thrill of victory, and agony of defeat involved with athletics helped build my character; and carries over into every-day life. The fortitude and values that I have gained from athletic competition over the years will aid me later in life both in the workplace and at home with my family.

My athletic accomplishments have played a major role in who I am and how I carry myself. I play sports year round; participating and lettering in football, wrestling, and track from 10th through 12th grade. I have been Team Captain for all three sports this year, and I am thankful to be able to contribute to the many great teams I have been on throughout the years. Last year and this year, I made the PWCA 1st Team All-Academic High School Wrestling Team. I have also been selected to play in the Ken Lantzy All-Star Football Game this June. I recently won 3 District 5 Gold Medals, and I am currently seeded first in the long jump at the PIAA State Championships.

Yet athletic experiences are not the only positive part of my athletic career. The accomplishments build confidence which carries over into further accomplishments. Yet there are ups and downs to this, as eventually, the omniscient 'target' is placed on one's back. This applies pressure to perform, yet that is not necessarily a bad thing. Performing under pressure is arguably one of the most important aspects of being a competitive athlete at the high school level. This is a great skill that can only be acquired from situations presented daily in high school athletic competition. In the game of life, performing under pressure is crucial.

Even so, my athletic career is not over. I intend on playing football at Carnegie Mellon University. Not only will I continue to grow as a person through football, but being a football applicant facilitated my acceptance to Carnegie Mellon as well. Athletics have had a great impact on my life thus far, and will continue to throughout the rest of my days.

More info on Mr. Tomovich to come soon!