Great Pass D?

The name says it all!
BillyWhiteShoesJohnson
Senior
Senior

Post by BillyWhiteShoesJohnson »

ah yes ur right boilerboy,
was that the game arrington blocked the field goal at the end of the game?? I too would like to see this series revived. Sure anyone can say Pitt would kill em or PSU would win if A. Scott was in there, but if they actually played it would be Pitt won becuz of or PSU won due to....
Small Feeet, Small Feeet!
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

White Shoes: #1 schedules are not made 10 yrs. in advance. At the college level they are made 2-4 years in advance, there are some occassional "long range" agreements between inter sectional opponents but schedules arent' completed as far in advance as HS schedules in many cases. My next point is I'm guessing your a younger fella who doesn't remember what PSU's schedule looked like in the 60's and 70's when JoPa was racking up undefeated and 1 loss seasons like crazy and STILL wasn't considered for national championship because of their pathetic schedule. In fact in '69 they could have gone to Texas to play in the Cotton Bowl vs Texas for the title but chose to go to the Orange Bowl to play Missouri or Kansas and barely escapted. Their yearly schedule included Navy, Army, Syracuse, WVU, Pitt, Ohio U., Temple, Maryland,Rutgers, etc. Remember that at this time Syracuse was the only strong program....Maryland was BAD, Pitt was terrible until late 70's with Majors/Dorsett...WVU was not the solid I-A program they are today. I do recall seeing on their past schedules at that time 2-yr. Home/Away series with Colorado and Tennessee, NC State, and Alabama in early-mid 70's. I can recall Iowa being on the schedule in late 60's also but that was a joke as they were always at the bottom of the Big 10 at that time.

Schedule has been much better from 80's forward but other than a couple outstanding seasons, they've been average at best. He racked up his best records in his first 20 yrs.
BillyWhiteShoesJohnson
Senior
Senior

Post by BillyWhiteShoesJohnson »

I dont disagree that he racked up better records earlier in his career, but I dont think that can be entirely attributed to schedule. Obviously nowadays there are many more athletes capable of helping schools. Its proven that athletes are bigger faster stronger now. I think is partly why it has been harder for teams to come in and dominate year in year out, especially for JoePa since he does not play his younger kids quite as much as he probly should. We can all disagree with him but I think he has forgotten more about football than most of us will ever know...
Small Feeet, Small Feeet!