Where do you vacation?

General Chit-Chat, Movies/TV, No Sports Discussion. Be that guy with his crew at the coffee shop at 6 am...
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Where do you vacation?

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Yeah, I don't need anything special for vacation. Stone Harbor is just right. It has all the things I need. Again, my vacation is like a giant family gathering, so I'm not going out looking for stuff to do.
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

We go to OC, MD just about every year. Started going with my grandparents in the 80's and have probably only missed 7 or 8 times. Now I go with my own family. We've done the camping at Assateague thing, but we usually stay close the upper end of the boardwalk. I like the boardwalk at night. Crowds don't bother me but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Usually go to Disney every few years, and we would try to catch a Space Shuttle launch while we were there. Got to see two of those. An amazing experience. And we had fun at the Kennedy Space Center as well.

Been to Canada twice in the last 3 years. Unfortunately not to go fishing or anything like that. Went to visit sister-in-law in Montreal. Don't care much for cities in general, but the drive up there is great. Upper New York state is very desolate in some areas.

And every 4 years or so we go to Peru. My wife is from Northern Peru. I hate the trip to get there because I dislike flying very much. I've been on too many flights that ended in applause, including my very first flight ever. But I love it once we get there. The people are very friendly. Have been to one ancient ruin there. Pre-Inca I think. And we go to the beach there. It's very weird to go to a beach and not see any commercial buildings. Just a few houses and that's it. But it is also very humbling to see how poor some of the people are there. Living in straw huts with no water or electricity. Kids begging on the streets. 'Poor' people in this country have no idea what poor really is.

We want to go to Machu Picchu but are waiting for the kids to get old enough to remember the experience.

A trip I would love to take is to take about a month and travel out west. Go to Yellowstone, out to Northern CA to see the redwoods, down to Grand Canyon, etc.

Any of you have any trip you'd like to take but haven't yet?
Last edited by TheAnalyst on February 10th, 2013, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

This is becoming a solid topic. Machu Picchu would be great. In South America I think I'd like to go to Uruguay. In Europe I think I'd like to check out Ireland. Italy would be my second choice. YouTube "The Palio" and you'll find an awesome old school thing I think would be awesome to see in person.

My dad went out to the Black Hills of South Dakota last year and loved it. He visited Mt Rushmore and some things like that. He said it was weird seeing some places spaced out like they are. He said for one school kids have to live away from home during the school week because they are so far from the schools.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

We did a family reunion in San Francisco a few years back. Stayed the extra week, and went around Northern California. Got to see the Redwoods and Yosemite Park. Very, very cool. Great views out there. We stayed in the city for a few nights, went to Alcatraz, which again very very cool. We caught a Giants game, and that stadium is beautiful. Fisherman's Wharf is very touristy, but still worth walking around. Also, checked some different towns in the Bay area. We went to Fresno to see more family. It is consistently 100 there. Also stopped and walked around Stanford University while we were there. Palm tree lined campus, and unreal athletic facilites. Beautiful.
YinzerKyle
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by YinzerKyle »

Stone Harbor is a great vacation spot for relaxing. Some good surf fishing and crabbing. It's got one or two bars but it's not anything like what you see on Jersey Shore. Long Beach Island is another nice spot like that on the Jersey coast except it's a bit more expensive.

My go-to spot is Lake George in Upstate NY. Absolutely gorgeous lake that stretches about 30 miles long. A group of us go every year after 4th of July and we camp out at one of the sites to rent on the islands sprinkled throughout the lake. Nothing beats it.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

Just looked up Lake George and it looks like a nice place. Is that what is considered part of the Finger Lakes?
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
YinzerKyle
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by YinzerKyle »

Lake George is all the way to the east of New York State where the Finger Lakes are more west by like Syracuse. Lake George is in the Adirondack Mountain Range which is absolutely gorgeous country and the very north tip has small riverways that connect it to Lake Champlain. I'd recommend it to anybody. You'd wanna stay either on the lake camping (if you have a boat, or you can rent one) or if you want to get a hotel I'd recommend either the Village which is the very southern point or Bolton Landing which is just a few miles up on the west side of the lake.
YinzerKyle
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by YinzerKyle »

If you're into boating, fishing, and drinking than there's no better place in the world IMO.
CITYBOY
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CITYBOY »

Deep Creek Lake 1 and 45 mins to get there, great fishing, good bars!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Sorry I came to this thread late. The wife and I like visiting the ocean, but mainly for the ambience. We don't do many water activities. We sort of do non-mainstream vacations. Florida for the Holidays. We like rustic without getting into camping. We like having most amenities, whether we use them or not. Three years ago, we visited Raliegh for a night with friends, then to Pigeon Forge a night on the way to Land between the Lakes, KY. Used that as a base for 3 days while we explored Fort Campbell, Paducah, southern Ill. and Cape Girardeau, Mo. Then back to the Corvette Museum @ Bowling Green, Mammoth Caves, the Bourbon Trail, and then home. 10 years ago we went to Bar Harbour, Me.and caught the high speed Cat ferry to Yarmouth, NS. Cruised around NS and Prince Edward Island for a week and a half. Some highlights were the lighthouse @ Peggy's Cove, 2 nights of Celtic traditions in Antigonish, cruising around Cape Breton for some of the most breathtaking scenery I've ever seen, playing golf on the #1 rated course in Canada, Highland Links @ Ingonish, and the only single-malt distillery in North America . Seeing the 30 foot tides rise and fall @ Bay of Fundy. Going on a whale watching cruise. If you like French fries, PEI is the place for you. Be sure to check out the "Anne of Green Gables" area. We want to go back up, but go farther to New Foundland and Labrador, only accessible via ferry boat (or air). Further to the west, we'd like to explore western Canada thru Winnepeg, Calgary, and the Rockies. If we ever get to the south Pacific, I think I'd like to check out Tahiti, and American Samoa. Polynesia as a whole looks beautiful. My wife is Irish/ Scotch, so the UK is on our list. Stonehenge, Edinburgh castle, Loch Ness, Cardiff, and the many sights of Eire. Of course, like Dorothy said, "There's no place like home".
It ain't over until it's over.