2016 Legion

It could be....It might be.....It is!!! A Home Run!
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: 2016 Legion

Post by peytonsaturday »

It's hard to place blame on the Bedfords and Claysburgs of the world. Remember these are American Legion sponsored teams. I'm sure if the Loyalsburg Legion (if they have one) and Everett Legion (ditto) sponsored a team that would fracture where Bedford could draw from. Same goes with Claysburg. If Hollyidaysburg legion sponsored a team likewise. Can't fault the teams. If more legions sponsored teams, they would be less to pull from. Your "beef" Manfred is with the local legions, not the teams that the kids play for. More teams sponsored in the Claysburg region = less schools the Claysburg team can pull from. Right now they're the only girl at the dance, and everyone in the place wants to dance with her.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

lgb87cape wrote:Lilly is in the same boat as St. Michael in my opinion. I didn't count BC because the kid that plays live in PC school district and if Portage had a Legion team he wouldn't be playing for Lilly.. All the other teams can get the pick of the litter if the AAABA  doesn't snag them away with all the perks they offer..
At one time, there was Lilly, Cresson, and Loretto as 3 separate franchises, so no, they are not quite the same as lil ole St.M.
It ain't over until it's over.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

peytonsaturday wrote:Travel baseball and the Flood City "Elite" are killing legion baseball in our area.  It's just a fact.  Parents think that because their kids is on a FC"E" team they will get noticed.  Those parents are wrong.  Being talented will get your son noticed.  And FC"E" could care less about how good a kid is, they only want the money that comes with them.
That is probably quite true.
benpouncey
Freshman
Freshman

Post by benpouncey »

peytonsaturday wrote:Travel baseball and the Flood City "Elite" are killing legion baseball in our area.  It's just a fact.  Parents think that because their kids is on a FC"E" team they will get noticed.  Those parents are wrong.  Being talented will get your son noticed.  And FC"E" could care less about how good a kid is, they only want the money that comes with them.
It is sad to see so much hate. Reading this whole thread you really seem to have a problem with travel baseball. Not only that but one that was established within the area. Just my take from when I was younger and played baseball...travel ball wasn't as large as it is now. So you had 2 options...playing downtown or playing legion. If travel ball was an option at the time, I would have elected to go that route, not based on the income of my parents but because I wanted to play against the best competition. Not only that but alot of the time you are gone for the weekend bonding with teammates, making memories and playing against better players and challenging yourself. Which I think you might be a little confused about what FCE is about. Pretty sure there isn't promises of college scholarships, drafted prospects and such...I am sure they will tell you that your kid will improve and honestly in most cases they do because the proof is in the pudding. How many players from Legion ball have gotten drafted in the last 10 years...that didn't also play AAABA or travel ball? That is what the problem is with this area and town is that people will always try to bring another person/people down. Stay salty my friend.
benpouncey
Freshman
Freshman

Post by benpouncey »

Peyton is salty towards travel ball...typical Johnstown mindset.
Sarge98
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Sarge98 »

It's always entertaining to read these type of comments about travel baseball killing leagues in the area. My question is for you is: What data or proof do you have of this?
Reason I ask is that I know for a fact that 75-90% of the kids playing travel baseball in the area are ALSO playing Legion, AAABA, City league, etc. 
Travel baseball is where the majority of kids are getting noticed. What college coach has time to travel and recruit during the high school season?  Their college season is taking place at the same time as high school. So, going to a travel baseball tournament over the summer where they can watch multiple players in the same venue over a weekend has become advantageous. Like or not, it is very easy for a college recruiter to go to a 17-18 yr old baseball tournament and see all the players they are interested in and then maybe a few others get "noticed".
Will players get attention by being great high school players? Yes, but seeing them compete against some of the best players in the region or country at tournaments also helps. 
I understand that not every kid that plays for a travel baseball team is not "elite" as you like to put it, but being on a team like this does offer a ton more exposure than just playing high school and local summer ball. NO one at the organization you mentioned is filling kid's(or parent's) heads with ideas that the more money you spend, the better chances you have at making. There is money involved, but you have to cover costs for uniforms, tournament fees, etc. Legion is $150 to play without the travel or tournaments,  I am not sure what the other summer leagues costs. 

Get your facts straight before making generalized statements.
Last edited by Sarge98 on June 14th, 2016, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Andrew McCutchen's article in the Players Tribune a few years ago points to the significance of travel teams and tournaments ect. His theme of the article was about financial support, but it also hints the travel baseball is very important. 
lgb87cape
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by lgb87cape »

The 75-90% that play Legion, AAABA, City League are basically useless. They rarely show up for games . They never show up for the playoffs because they don't get enough games in. When Legion playoffs start there is a two week tournament in Georgia and Florida. So they really don't play they're just on the roster..
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

I wouldn't say travel ball is killing local leagues.  I just think that there aren't as many kids anymore.  In this part of the country, participation mirrors population.  In other parts of the country like the South, it is the opposite. Locally, most kids play both, and few just do travel.  On the other hand, parents will always be nuts!  

IMHO, travel ball is what you make of it. What started as a necessity for HS juniors with aspirations has exploded into an industry focused on $$$.  It can help to get you more exposure if you are in the 15-18 yr old range and have a legitimate shot at playing at a higher level.  On the flipside, playing travel ball from ages 8-14 is meaningless for college recruiting purposes.  (Question - how many guys out there have tons of little league all-star, or wrestling tournament trophies collecting dust in their attics?)  But if your kid does it for the sheer pleasure, then that's great!

However, the one thing that will get you noticed is being good.  The better you are, the more noticed you will get. Those blessed with more natural ability will always have a better shot at getting noticed, and will jump anyone who is simply on a team because they pay the fees and have the requisite shades, backpacks, and arm sleeves.

But don't think for one moment that the prestige of being on an elite team and the accolades that come with it aren't a motivator for parents, organizers, and coaches.  I once heard a long-time scout once tell a parent - yeah your team played at that tournament, alongside 150 other teams which also paid to make the trip.   

Again, it is what it is, and if you like the experience, that's great.  Just don't believe that its gonna guarantee you a free ride because that just doesn't happen.  And also don't think for one minute that the teams aren't moneymakers... because they are just that.

If one thing is certain, it is that Legion baseball will always be around because it is one of the core programs of on of the largest public service organizations in the country.  It has widespread popularity, and is the most popular from of organized baseball in the 16-19 yr old age group.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

St. Michael, with 10 players tonight, downed Somerset 13-3 in 6 inn. 1 is playing in the Lantzy, 4 are dual-rostered, and 1...well...fill in the blank.