February 5 Power Rankings

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

February 5 Power Rankings

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

District 6 A
1. Bishop Carroll 14-5
The Huskies have rebounded very nicely from last season, and look like the team to beat in this field.  This is a balanced and deep team that can get scoring from a number of different options. Sophomore guard Tristan McDannell is averaging 15 a game this season, and senior Ben Eckenrode is averaging 13 points per contest and is shooting an impressive 43% from behind the arc.  BC can still make the LHAC title game, but have a tough week ahead with road games at Forest Hills and Penn Cambria, along with a home date against Bishop Guilfoyle as well. 

2. Juniata Valley 14-5
After a 1-4 start to the season, Juniata Valley has been on a roll as they have won 10 in a row.  Cameron Collins is having an All-State caliber season, as he is averaging 25.6 points and six rebounds a game.  He's the type of player that can carry this team to a District title.  The Hornets have a big game with Bellwood-Antis tomorrow night. 

3. St. Joseph's Catholic Academy 16-5
The Wolves are having a bit of a surprise year, and have the look of a team title competitor.  St. Joe's went to Ebensburg earlier in the year and hung with Bishop Carroll four four quarters.  They have also played some other tough games, and have done alright. They close out the regular season tonight with a game at Penns Valley. 

4. Blacklick Valley 15-4
The 1-2 punch of Jude Gdula and Jordan McEvoy is as good as anyone else's top two players in this field.  That alone should make them a tough out when the playoffs start in a few weeks.  The Vikings have three section games this week to finish the regular season, starting with a trip to Windber tonight. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: February 5 Power Rankings

District 6AA
1. Bishop Guilfoyle 13-5
The Marauders have lost two close games recently, but I still feel they are the top AA team. Nobody in the area can shoot it like BG, and that's the tough thing with them.  Ruggery, Labriola, Scaramozzino, and Scharf are all capable outside shooters and go for 20 on a given night.  Nobody else in this field has the kind of firepower Guilfoyle possesses. BG plays at Central Cambria tonight in what could be a tricky game. 

2. Bishop McCort 13-6
Bishop McCort may have overachieved with a 9-0 start to the year, and that has shown up a bit in recent games.  Still, the defending champions are a formidable contender for the District playoffs in the coming weeks.  The Crushers will be put to the test this week with three very difficult games ahead, starting with a trip to Richland tonight.   

3. Purchase Line 16-3
The Red Dragons broke through last year, and made the state tournament.  A repeat trip to the Big Dance this year seems like the expectation. Seniors Melvin Sanchez and Shamar Campbell are two very good players, and have the Dragons ready to compete with anyone.  Should they pull off a win tonight in the Heritage crossover games, Purchase Line will get to take the big stage on Friday at IUP for the championship. 

4. Homer-Center 13-5 
The Wildcats recently lost to Purchase Line by 22, is the gap that large between #3 and #4?  I'm not so sure.  I think Homer will be a factor in the postseason. They should be battle tested with games against Ligonier and Bishop Guilfoyle still on the schedule. 

5. United 11-9
Admittedly, I thought United was due for a big step forward this season.  The Lions have been up and down all season long, but I think they can be dangerous in the playoffs because of the guard play from Kyle Silk and Luke Means. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

District 6 AAA
1. Richland 17-2
Richland has been pretty consistent all year long, and it's fairly easy to rank them as the top team in AAA.  The Rams have such a balanced and veteran starting five that not many teams can match. They close out the year with three home section games this week, starting with Bishop McCort tonight. 

2. Ligonier Valley 15-4
Ligonier started slow, but has really put it together since the New Year.  Marrek Paola is a dominant force inside, and the 6'6" junior is averaging 25 points and 13 rebounds a game.  Don't sleep on sophomore point guard Michael Marinchak either, he's very good and really gives this team a dynamic duo at the top.   The Rams will be focusing on winning a Heritage title this week. 

3. Bellwood-Antis 15-4
Bellwood has won four games in a row, including a pair of one-point overtime victories.  They should be battle tested come playoff time. The Blue Devils host Juniata Valley tomorrow night in what will be a big ICC showdown.  Senior Trent Walker has been playing at a high level this season, and posted a 37 point game in a win over Everett last week. 

4. Juniata 15-6
Juniata is 4-1 against District 6 competition this season, the rest of their games are played against mostly teams from District 4.  It's always hard to gauge what Juniata is capable of before any postseason in any sport.  

5. Central Cambria 11-8
The defending champs have now won four in a row, and they may be coming together at the right time. UPJ recruit Matt Holsinger has been a rock all year long in the post, and Luke Bennett is a very good guard.  I doubt any of the top seeds will want to see this team on the side of their bracket.  Central Cambria hosts Bishop Guilfoyle tonight in a key LHAC Section 2 showdown. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

District 6 AAAA
1. Greater Johnstown 14-4
After seeing Johnstown in person last week, I came away very impressed. The Trojans have a quality point guard, and a number of capable scoring options.   They probably lack a true big guy to bring it together, but they make up for it in other ways. The Trojans have games with Westmont McCort slated for this week. 

2. Huntingdon 17-2
The Bearcats have been really solid all year long. 6'3" junior wing Nick Rigby is averaging 18 a game and senior point guard Jonathan price posts 12 a game, giving Huntingdon a solid duo at the top.  Huntingdon has a big game with Central coming up on Friday. 

3. Tyrone 14-5
Tyrone was probably the favorite to win AAAA to start the year, and that still can be the case. There have been ups and downs for this team in recent weeks, but when they are clicking, especially from the outside - they can be very tough to beat.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

District 5AA

1. Berlin Brothersvalley 14-4

Berlin just pulled off a huge win by handing Shade its second loss of the season. The Mountaineers have now won six in a row, and this looks like a team that make a run in the postseason. Nick Gooden leads this high-scoring attack with 21 points per game.  Watch out for tomorrow's game at Southern Fulton, as it should be a good one.  

2. Conemaugh Township 10-8
The Indians have won six of seven, and seem to be coming on strong.  Jordan Poznanski is averaging 23 points per game this season, and nobody else on Township averages more than 7.  They go as he goes.   Conemaugh Township has some winnable games ahead with Ferndale and Coneamaugh Valley on the schedule this week. 

3. Rockwood 9-9
The Rockets have lost three in a row, but have been in every game, including a four point loss to top ranked Berlin.  Junior Troy Emert just recently went over the 1,000 point mark for his career. The schedule does not get any easier ahead, with road games against Shanksville and Shade still looming. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

District 5 A

1. Shade 17-2
The high-scoring Panthers have been a fun team to follow all year.  Shade has reached 90 a few times this season, and even scored over 100 once.  This team has four kids averaging over double digits in scoring, led by 6'3" junior Brady Fyfe.   Freshman Vincent Fyock has also come on strong in recent weeks. Shade did just lose a game, but it might be a while until they lose again. 

2. Southern Fulton 13-4
The Indians have won eight of their last nine games, and they do it how they seemingly always do it - with defense. Kent Hendershot's team only averages 52 points per game. They host an intriguing game tomorrow with Berlin Brothersvalley coming to town.

3. Shanksville-Stonycreek 11-5
The Vikings have a busy week on the horizon, with three games on the schedule. It starts tonight with Rockwood, and the week ends with a trip to Berlin for a big WestPAC showdown. 
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Only thing I would disagree with is Forest Hills is better than Tyrone and could probably share #2 with Huntingdon. Tyrone got manhandled by Richland 
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

I think Jtown and Huntingdon are a notch above Tyrone, FH and Central but I also think any of the 5 could beat the other on any given night. Should make for some good playoff basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

CCDevil2012 wrote:Only thing I would disagree with is Forest Hills is better than Tyrone and could probably share #2 with Huntingdon. Tyrone got manhandled by Richland 
Forest Hills just lost to a 5 win Cambria Heights team.  I think Forest Hills is pretty good, but that's a bad loss.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
CCDevil2012 wrote:Only thing I would disagree with is Forest Hills is better than Tyrone and could probably share #2 with Huntingdon. Tyrone got manhandled by Richland 
Forest Hills just lost to a 5 win Cambria Heights team.  I think Forest Hills is pretty good, but that's a bad loss.
Touché