Richland/Westmont

Hardwood chatter
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Richland/Westmont

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Someone on the Tribune facebook page is claiming that all game officials present, including the JV ref and the ADs from both schools got together and agreed that the young/new JV ref overreacted or made some kind of mistake, and that the coach be allowed to coach the Varsity game. The Westmont coach complained to the PIAA this morning, leading to the forfeit. No clue if that is true or not. But wow! What a drama.

Wonder if Westmont improved their seed in D6 with this 'win'?
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Yes i believe crimson pointed out they jumped over richland in playoff seeding
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

The refs and the ADs don’t get to make up the rules as they go. Surely a coach, AD or school administrator should have known this.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Ah yes, the “young, new ref.”

Makes sense now. Next time the ADs should be sure to get 30 year seasoned veterans to ref the JV game. Maybe even they should bring up Gene Staratore if he is available and willing to lace me up one last time.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

The two technical rule is pretty well known.
Sneakers2
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Sneakers2 »

I'm sure the question and error in judgment comes from the actions in a JV game carrying over to the Varsity... 2 T's, you're done plus one game suspension at that level....The gray area, for some, would be how it would affect Varsity action.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

I do think it is laughable that if a varsity coach gets thrown out of a JV game that he is merely suspended from just the next JV game. I think he should sit out the first playoff game.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Well in addition to being merely suspended for the next JV game he’s also not permitted to coach the varsity game that same night.....
GoDragons
Senior
Senior

Post by GoDragons »

What is the process for this? Do the refs file a report with LHAC, D6 and PIAA? Is Richland required to self-report? Or did Westmont file a report or protest the game. Just curious how this all works?
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

GoDragons wrote: February 14th, 2020, 10:19 am What is the process for this? Do the refs file a report with LHAC, D6 and PIAA? Is Richland required to self-report? Or did Westmont file a report or protest the game. Just curious how this all works?
I don't know about the specifics of this situation and who told who, but officials are required to electronically submit a DQ form to the PIAA as soon as possible after the contest (I think they have 24 hours to do so). Then I think the PIAA notifies the AD and principal of the school, who then are supposed to address the player or coach who got disqualified

Edit: I'm pretty sure the district chair gets a copy from the PIAA too.
Last edited by OutOfTheLoop on February 14th, 2020, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.