Fall Sports

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Fall Sports

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

knowitall wrote: May 14th, 2020, 10:46 am

That this virus became politicized is unfortunate.
There was literally no way around it unfortunately.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

The biggest problem our country faces is accountability. Politicians (on all sides) lie, journalists lie, news reporters lie, hell even photographers and videographers have mastered their own versions of lying.

I was held to a higher MLA writing and sourcing standards in 9th grade at a public high school than our current "blue checkmark" journalists from what was once our most trusted news sources (AP, NPR, Fox, ABC, CBS, etc.). I was taught early in high school the importance of "citing sources." Nothing is ever cited anymore. It's impossible to sort the real news from the fake news. Everyone follows what they want to follow on social media and thinks their sources are the only ones telling the truth. Politicians lie, they always have. The name slips me but a famous Texas congressman always said "I have no problem lying, I just need to know the truth." It used to be that journalists and true news reporters held them somewhat accountable. It was a check and balance system. Cable TV and social media has eroded away any check and balance system we may have had.

The few posts above are perfect examples of how people follow their own specific news sources and don't question what is spoon fed to them. To blame Trump for comments in February when Democratic governors and senators where begging people to attend festivals and go on as usual, just shows complete biases on your opinion. At the same time, to act like Trump or any elected or appointed official hasn't made mistakes and even severe mistakes during this situation is lunacy. Trump is bragging about the "ratings of his press conferences" while people are forced in their homes and held without work. Trump also needs to stop rambling and going into **** like UV light treatments and disinfectant treatments that he doesn't fully understand.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: May 14th, 2020, 10:48 am I didn't bring up 'the government' into the thread. Fear mongering and distrust about the government was brought up previously, I was just adding my two cents into it.
Ditto. FWIW, Italy, Spain, and others all became infected with spread among their Chinese ties. Whether it came from the east or west, it all came from China. abpk, your last post was right on too. ALL of it. :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
It ain't over until it's over.
DFFSBA
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by DFFSBA »

Manfred wrote: May 14th, 2020, 12:29 pm
Crimson's Ghost wrote: May 14th, 2020, 10:48 am I didn't bring up 'the government' into the thread. Fear mongering and distrust about the government was brought up previously, I was just adding my two cents into it.
Ditto. FWIW, Italy, Spain, and others all became infected with spread among their Chinese ties. Whether it came from the east or west, it all came from China. abpk, your last post was right on too. ALL of it. :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
MF - we can agree on something! And you're right, abpk hit the nail on the head. There's only 2 politicians I trust, Topper and Metzgar at the state level. I trust no other politicians - period.
wpbc
Senior
Senior

Post by wpbc »

abpk2903 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 9:23 am The same experts that told us a month ago that 500,000-1,000,000 deaths would be the best case scenario and convinced nearly every state to put millions of dollars into temporary hospitals that never had a single patient are now mad us for not taking their warnings about a second wave seriously.

Maybe this could be a lesson for the fear mongering government officials and media...if you want American's to believe you, then report fair and accurate information from the beginning. Once you lose the public's trust due to outlandish predictions, it is nearly impossible to get it back.
Please give an example of a temporary hospital that was created that didn't see a single patient and what "experts" are you quoting on the 1/2 million deaths. Your doing the same as what you're complaining about. Spouting out info without any facts to back it up. BTW, what's the time frame for the 1/2 - 1 million deaths. If was 2 months then sure they're way off. If it's 2 years, probably not that far off on the 1/2 million.

You can complain about the stay at home orders if you want but don't throw statistics around like they're truth without anything to back it up. As of now we are already over 80,000 deaths in the 2 months since most states locked down which is about double the average for the flu in a year.

As for fall football it depends on a lot of factors. From a health perspective it looks like we have just started to "flatten the curve" on new cases which has been holding steady at about 1000 per day. It took us 8 weeks to get here. It's only 12 weeks till camps would start. Another driving force will be Pitt/Philly areas and how their doing. It will be all or nothing across the state for PIAA so even if this area stays low in terms of numbers the other areas will be the driving forces on this. I don't think its going to happen but we'll see.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Sure...I’ll provide sources.

Here is a $19 million Houston based hospital that was built and dismantled before having a single patient:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.housto ... 224560.php

Here is a CBS article from 3/13 stating the CDC estimated death toll was 200,000 - 1,700,000.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/losangeles ... nario/amp/
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Don't get on the site for a while and now all this? Can we stay focused? Private schools are clearly the problem here, they recruit....you're welcome
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Earl34
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Earl34 »

IF..rural schools are given an ok to open in the fall, Pitt area and Philly stay closed, will local league's need PIAA permission to play their schedules?
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

Earl, good question. I think the PIAA would have to approve/give the "ok" but I see know reason why if 2/3 of the state is in a position to play and 1/3 is not, why would they take away the opportunity for the 2/3 schools who can play? It would make no sense. I don't think it's necessarily all or nothing.

It may be all or nothing to have a state playoff but as those of us old enough to have played in the pre-playoff days, I don't think it's going to "scar" anyone for life if there is no playoffs. Those who can play, should be allowed to play regular season games.

As a side note, I heard today that the PSFCA has come out proposing a 10-week scenario.....3 weeks to prep and a scrimmage and then 7 games. I'm not sure what timetable they are basing that on but it came from a respectable source. Any football coaches out there know anything more about this proposal?
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

abpk2903 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 4:09 pm Sure...I’ll provide sources.

Here is a $19 million Houston based hospital that was built and dismantled before having a single patient:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.housto ... 224560.php

Here is a CBS article from 3/13 stating the CDC estimated death toll was 200,000 - 1,700,000.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/losangeles ... nario/amp/
People only see what they want to see, or hear what they want to hear. Thanks again abpk for throwing some light out there.
It ain't over until it's over.