It's just not important

The name says it all!
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

It's just not important

Post by El-Moldo »

It's been about 5 days since Pat Chambers resigned as head coach of Penn State's men's basketball program. Not ONE mention on Bleachercoaches. And why? No one cares, not even the biggest PSU fans. With wrestling and hockey at PSU, just goes to show how insignificant this sport is in Happy Valley.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: It's just not important

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

PSU b-ball is definitely least cared about main sport out of the men's sports. Its sad really. Maybe then can get a coach that excites the fans and recruits to go to Penn State.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

It caught me off guard but read about it. It seems like he said some less than PC things, but they didn't seem that agregious to me. He ultimately resigned so I am guessing there is more to it.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

They let a 19 year old b-ball player RUIN someone's career because a bad choice of words. Was the kid REALLY offended? If Chambers would have said "loosen the LEASH around your neck', would he still be employed today at PSU? Or would he have pissed off the PETA crowd. Unbelievable.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Pat Chambers wasn't the best coach in college basketball but I feel like he was about the best we could expect at Penn State. Outside of the first few years when Ed DeChellis left the cupboards completely void of power 5 talent, Pat fielded a competitive team almost annually. Sure some years they were below .500 or maybe weren't that great but they at least were in basketball games. The talent level was close to what you should expect from a B1G basketball team.

This phantom idea that some Penn State fans have of bringing in some miracle worker and turning Penn State basketball into a national program is just silly. They are similar to Kansas in football in the sense that they are one of the worst power conference programs in the country. Kansas tried bringing in a national championship coach in Les Miles and they are still spinning in the mud 2 seasons later.

I just don't really know where to go from here as a Penn State basketball fan.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

I actually feel sorry for PSU men' basketball. All 3 PSU 2021 recruits have decommitted from their program. No reason was given, but it shows what can happen when supposed "racism" rears it's ugly head. Too bad.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Yeah I have a hard time thinking Pat Chambers, who put his own head on the line for Mike Watkins is a raging racist. He has been coaching black athletes for his entire adult life and he just decided to be racist last year, I guess. So stupid.

Society is has lost it's goddamn mind.
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by old school »

abpk2903 wrote: November 16th, 2020, 8:46 am Society is has lost it's goddamn mind.
Hold my beer and watch this. You haven't seen anything yet
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Former PSU commit TaQuan Woodley: "The recent resignation of Pat Chambers from his position as Penn State's Men's Basketball Head Coach is the primary reason for this decision."

I'm pretty sure the reason for the de-commitments is based off of Penn State not having a head coach for this season. Program is sort of in no man's land with an interim coach for this season.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Ya, but what caused Chambers to leave? Trickle down effect from the racism charge.