It's just not important

The name says it all!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: It's just not important

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I've often found the best way to not get cancelled in today's current cancel culture society, is to not say stupid things. It has surprisingly worked for a lot of people.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

That is such a low energy take on the situation.

How about actions speak louder than a few mistaken words? Pat Chambers might have said something he shouldn't have but at the same time I guarantee you have said things that both you regret and could have easily been misinterpreted. I know that I have.

I feel like Pat Chambers genuinely cared for his players. He openly cheered for Tony Carr declaring for the NBA early even though it completely destroyed his backcourt situation for the following year. He put his own reputation on the line to help Mike Watkins have a better chance at life. He went into the worst parts of Philadelphia and gave kids a chance. Trust me, I know the communities of some of those players quite well.

Was he a great coach? No. You can get fixated on a few sentences that might have caused his resignation but I will remember his time at Penn State as a coach that worked very hard. It is a tough job and he did it about as well as any coach has up there. He also got a player drafted, will likely get a second player drafted tomorrow night and there is a chance that 4 or 5 of his players will play in the NBA from his tenure. That is the best talent Penn State has seen in 60 years at PSU and probably ever will see.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Yea, I think he was a really good recruiter, he had a better Philadelphia pipeline building than most schools not named Villanova. We're not sure of the entire context that led to his parting of ways, however.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Exactly, so I am only going to speak on the merits of what I can evaluate him on. He was a C coach, with a B recruiting ability, and an A work ethic. Overall, that's about as good as Penn State can expect. Hopefully his work can be built off of and the program is better moving forward than where he found it.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Penn State greatly hinted at the fact there was more than just the 1 comment when doing the investigation. The best for both sided was for Chambers to quietly resign and not let that info get out. Could of made him unhireable in the future
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Well if they determined that what he did was so egregious that they should let him go, then why wouldn't they publicize their findings to prevent another school from hiring him?

This is just the chicken-s*** route to take in the whole thing.

Once again, I go back to actions speak louder than words and I have a very difficult time thinking he was that bad.

Wichita State just had a similar internal investigation resulting in Greg Marshall's resignation.

We are heading down a slippery slope.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Yea Greg Marshall seems like a big jerk. There's not much defending him.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

...On Oct 21, Pat Chambers resigned as PSU men's head B-Ball coach. AD Sandy Barbour accepted his resignation "after a months-long internal investigation into what the university called 'new allegations of inappropriate conduct' conducted by our Penn State Affirmative Action and Athletic Integrity offices." Barbour stated that "We do not disclose details of personal investigations."
...TODAY, Sports Illustrated reported that "PSU players still harbor questions and lingering frustration about what happened, and are still confused, and don't understand WHY this happened." Concerning Chambers one player interviewed used the word "fired" before correcting himself to say 'stepped down'.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Sounds more like 'stepped in it'.
It ain't over until it's over.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

In today's BlueWhiteIIllutrated, senior editor Nate Bauer, concerning tomorrow's 1st PSU's men's b-ball game being postponed due to Covid concerns, stated "The program continues to adjust to the ABRUPT FORCED resignation of head coach Pat Chambers."