Pitt Basketball

The name says it all!
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pitt Basketball

Post by Colonel Mustard »

From what I have read and heard, Johnson and Toney are more concerned with their NBA prospects than with winning at Pitt. Clashed with Capel over many things as a result. Addition by subtraction comes to mind. They aren't getting beyond .500 with these guys. Its troubling that they haven't signed any recruits for next year, but I would expect a ton of transfers this year. So Capel has a chance to re-make this team quickly.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Yeah I’ve never really been a fan of the narrative that basketball is that different conference to conference. As crimson said, officials jump from league to league. Additionally, the game is played indoor in a relatively controlled environment. Yeah it’s tough for Wisconsin and Minnesota football to have an air raid attack when they will play 5 games a year in freezing temperatures. I think this is what really separates brands of football from conference to conference. Heck these kids were in grade school when Pitt went from the Big East to the ACC.

I also think being unique is a huge benefit in amateur sports. Why do you think Navy football consistently has been competitive over the last decade even though they give up 500 lbs on the offensive and defensive fronts? Why do you think Syracuse is always a tough team to beat no matter if they are having a great year or a down year? How was Nebraska able to dominate a decade of college football playing in a location that had a handful D1 recruits within a 5 hour car ride? Amateur athletes only have a few practices to prepare for their next opponent. To have to learn how to stop a wing T, or score on a 2-3 zone, or contain a triple option is a tough as for a few practices with 18-21 year olds.

Maybe Pitt should have brought that physical brand of basketball they had in the Big East over to the ACC.

As most of you know, I am not a Pitt fan but I am surprised because I thought the Capel hire was a home run for Pitt. The last few months has me starting to question if it isn’t a deeper problem that caused Pitt to go from a top 10 or 15 program in the nation to a program that won’t make the tournament 5 straight years.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

3 point line has always been there but in the NBA/College/HS the amount of points/shots from 3pt range has skyrocketed. Once the Warriors run started mid 2010s the game shifted everywhere.

And while conferences may not have their "own" officials i dare anyone to go back and watch Pitt games in the Big East and then the ACC. You see a huge difference in how games are played and called
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

That’s basketball in general though man. Comparing different eras. Watch Villanova play Georgetown. It’s the same game as Duke vs Virginia Tech
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

With men's college basketball regular season over, I wasn't disappointed with the Panthers too much. What can you say? They had NO starting seniors this year. Losses by one point to WF and NCST didn't help. Neither did the opening season loss to St. Francis. Capel's three seasons were 14-19, 15-16 and 10-11. I don't think his team is going backwards. We'll see what happens next season. By the way, TCU finished the regular season 12-13.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Big 12 is miles ahead of the ACC this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Well I guess TCU fans can take some consolation in that.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Pitt Basketball

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Yes when u want to compare the two. Pitt won 6 conference games with the conference at its worst in over 10 years. So yeah while their overall record may be in line with the last few years the competition has been the worst they’ve faced in those years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

El Moldo, almost every basketball team that is hovering around the .500 mark can point to a few close losses that shaped the trajectory of their season.

That's what mediocre teams do, they are in too many close games. You could just as easily point to the 1 point win over Northwestern (13th out of 14 teams in the B1G) and the 3 point win over Syracuse and claim they are just as close to being 8-13.

I would not be encouraged as a Pitt fan. I thought this would be a middle seeded tournament team before the season started.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Pitt went 10-11 with mostly conference play. They were 4-1 with their non conf schedule.

If they got to play a full, normal, easy non conf schedule they probably would of ended the season 19-14 or 20-13 something around there. Something to remind ourselves with teams records is they dont have the non conf fluff this year teams usually get