PIAA Classification Craziness....Coming Soon!

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
davesandstorm
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: PIAA Classification Craziness....Coming Soon!

Post by davesandstorm »

Mount Union and Southern Huntingdon would both probably drop to A under this system.
costanza
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by costanza »

Those parameters were released almost a month ago, but I have heard a few local AD'S talking about this change since that time. It sounded like some were going back to the PIAA to see about their numbers being adjusted. Wouldn't this then affect the 138 cut off for class A?
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

Glad I saw someone reply about this and recognized the loophole.

This is ridiculous and I’ll stand up for the small schools who are trying to keep football programs going. Just because a student takes 3 periods a day at an off site campus for class offerings you don’t get at the school doesn’t mean he/she isn’t your student and everyone knows it.

The article I read in the Mirror about Glendale football was awesome. They are a class A program. Some others…nope, but it appears the broken system may allow it. If a school submitted 109 and another submitted 155….then learned of this and can now submit 107, that isn’t right.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

So will some teams play up to avoid teams that are screwing with numbers so that they can play down?
Joe Bivitz
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by Joe Bivitz »

I feel terrible for the small schools in small districts that go 6-4 in the regular season and only have to beat one other team that is 2-8 to win a district title. It really sucks for them to maybe now have to play another team with a possible winning record
Hangman
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Hangman »

I'm sure the private schools will find a way to cheat the system here and play down a classification or two with their multi-county all-star teams.
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Joe Bivitz wrote: November 24th, 2021, 10:03 pm I feel terrible for the small schools in small districts that go 6-4 in the regular season and only have to beat one other team that is 2-8 to win a district title. It really sucks for them to maybe now have to play another team with a possible winning record
I wonder what district could have that situation?
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

I think Joe Bivits might mean the district in which the champion is actually 9-3, still playing, and beat one of the district six finalists in the regular season.
Joe Bivitz
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by Joe Bivitz »

Nice job on the record correction. I was off by 1 loss, or maybe I was just a few days early. But you’re missing my point. No district champion should only have to play 1 game against a team with 2 wins to claim they’re district champs……And then complain because there may be a rule change that might drop another quality team down to your class that would prevent you from only having to beat a 2 win team every year for a championship. Good seasons for NBC and JV, both had tough hard fought losses last night and good luck to Central and BG next weekend.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

Joe, my complaint isn’t that.

D5 needed 4 teams to be able to have a playoff system. I’m thankful that D5 can keep its identity. We wouldn’t have had that without this… I would love to see teams that have shown interest before join D5 as well. Portage, CK, SH. We started the last cycle with enough teams but Shade folded and CT became ineligible to play.

What I think is bogus is that some teams that were just AAA or large AA teams coming to class A just because some students take 2-3 classes like auto, building construction, welding, or salon, etc off campus because they want to pursue a career in the CTE field. Is the PIAA saying these classes aren’t important?

That student still rides the bus, takes core classes, and spends most of their day in the building. They graduate from the school. They are 100% a student at __________, but now they count as 10%. Where did this number come from? How can anyone justify this? This isn’t just class A. Teams will drop across the board and in ALL sports for boys and girls. This will have a huge impact on basketball.

Call me out, I’m ok with it. I am an advocate for the small public schools out there trying to stay afloat and trying to compete. Everyone used to complain about private schools and borders. Now the small schools face more adversity as co-ops have exploded across the area (I understand and am not angry about it) and this rule is potentially going to drop some great programs by a class or two and it pushes out the little guy. As more of this happens, it will be tough for small rural schools to survive and compete.

100 kids that count as 10 is my gripe. Think how that can change everything. 225 kids with 100 in CTE courses becomes 135. That’s not right.

And finally…lots of districts have had a handful of teams at times. Look at D6 3A-6A. Look at District 8. Look at District 3. D5AA and AAA. D9AAA.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches