Post by cleaverstuart »

Coach Page's obituary
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: RIP Coach Page

Post by Manfred »

cleaverstuart wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 9:42 pm
Manfred wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 4:20 pm What year did Coach Page take over for Andy Pahach? Another superior Coach for many years. LV was always a tough team with him. Saw them lose a tough one in Hershey against Milton Hershey back in the day.
Andy Pahach was a head baskettball coach for 36 years from 1948-49 to 1983-83 (the first 4 at Bolivar before it became Laurel Valley after merging with New Florence and Seward) who had a 538-346 record with 8 D6 titles and 5 apprearance in the state finals and 4 time runner-up (1972 used a final 4 format). Coach Page never coached basketball but was the score keeper for boys b-ball for 50 years at LV. (I guess 46 years of football and 35 years of baseball was enough.) He took over as football head coach from Bert Toy in 1979 after Coach Toy's second Appalachian Conference Championship team that went 10-0-0 in 1978. LV's JV and Jr high football teams were also undefeated in 1978. Finally the Milton Hershey game might be the toughest sports memory for any LV fan.
Thanks for the clarification. Appreciate it. Merry Christmas!
It ain't over until it's over.
LVRams10
Freshman
Freshman

Post by LVRams10 »

Manfred wrote: December 24th, 2021, 8:37 am
cleaverstuart wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 9:42 pm
Manfred wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 4:20 pm What year did Coach Page take over for Andy Pahach? Another superior Coach for many years. LV was always a tough team with him. Saw them lose a tough one in Hershey against Milton Hershey back in the day.
Andy Pahach was a head baskettball coach for 36 years from 1948-49 to 1983-83 (the first 4 at Bolivar before it became Laurel Valley after merging with New Florence and Seward) who had a 538-346 record with 8 D6 titles and 5 apprearance in the state finals and 4 time runner-up (1972 used a final 4 format). Coach Page never coached basketball but was the score keeper for boys b-ball for 50 years at LV. (I guess 46 years of football and 35 years of baseball was enough.) He took over as football head coach from Bert Toy in 1979 after Coach Toy's second Appalachian Conference Championship team that went 10-0-0 in 1978. LV's JV and Jr high football teams were also undefeated in 1978. Finally the Milton Hershey game might be the toughest sports memory for any LV fan.
Thanks for the clarification. Appreciate it. Merry Christmas!
If you ever want to know any obscure LV stat, Clever is your man!
bigtube
Freshman
Freshman

Post by bigtube »

I had the pleasure to play for Coach Page. He was one of a kind. He will be missed but his legacy lives on in business leaders, educators, coaches, parents, and genuinely good men! Many sympathies to the Page family and the Laurel Valley family! I have a quick story on the impact he leaves on young men. In 1995, I was a senior at Edinboro playing at Clarion. We won the game and the PSAC championship and Coach Page came to watch me in the stands. I didn't know he was there until after the game. The last play of the game, we lined up in victory formation to win the game and the PSAC. The guy from Clarion decided to go full go and I got into a pushing match and received a 15 yard penalty. We win and everyone is celebrating. I walk off the field and hug my family and then I see Coach Page. I immediately apologized to him for my behavior on the football field. I was so sorry he had to see that. He laughed and said it was all right, but I felt as I had let my mentor down as that was not the way I was taught to play football or behave in life! I still try to live my life by the lessons taught so long ago on the high school field and pass those lessons on to the next generation where possible. I know my brothers at Laurel Valley do the same! Rest in Peace Coach.