The End of an Era, Probably

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
cleaverstuart
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

The End of an Era, Probably

Post by cleaverstuart »

Today I attended the UV vs CV cross over game and truly enjoyed my afternoon, yes there were games this weekend that pinned more successful teams this season against each other, bit I choice this game because today marked the end of an era locally, probably. If Conemaugh Valley has lights in place for the start of next season there will be no school left with regularly scheduled Saturday afternoon games, heck BG is the only local school that plays home games on Saturday anymore. Although the first high school games I’d attended as a preschooler and early elementary students were Laurel Valley Friday night games at the old New Florence Boro School field, yes LV played home night games from 1955-70. My love for football grew as I entered midget football and LV was playing Saturday afternoon games at home. Yes, this would have meant every home game I played in the last being forty years, were all afternoon games. Heck most of my games were afternoon games as United, Ferndale, BV, and Meyersdale didn’t have lights yet, (LV only started to play CV my Sr year which was a home game for LV) After graduating I spent many afternoon watching more after games at LV and would attended many at United games anytime LV had a Friday night game and United would be home Saturday afternoon, which seemed to happen a good bit in the 1980s & 90s. Since the Laurel/Ligonier Valley merger I’ve only attended about a slightly over half dozen Saturday afternoon games, with 2 being at United when they had to schedule out of the area teams. Yeas there will be the occasional Saturday afternoon game scheduled for that reason and Friday night games changed at the last second to Saturday afternoon, but the regular Saturday afternoon game will now be a thing of the past. I know I’m in the minority and a dinosaur BUT I MISS SATURDAY AFTERNOON VARSITY FOOTBALL.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: The End of an Era, Probably

Post by knowitall »

My youngest child graduates this year. I’ve spent the last eleven years watching Saturday afternoon home football games. These last two weeks may have been the two most perfect afternoon games I have attended. I am certainly glad neither was played on a Friday night. Friday nights are too cold for wimpy old men in late October.

Conemaugh Valley should consider restrooms with running water before adding lights. I see a problem though going forward. According to the Tribune Democrat’s preseason preview, CV had just four freshmen on its roster. The program does have six though but there are only four eighth graders on the junior high team. I might pass on installing lights.
costanza
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by costanza »

Cleaver, I still miss those special Laurel Valley homes games as a former player, assistant coach (and even as an opposing head coach lol). I miss them even more now that the big guy is no longer with us!!
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

There is another thing about today’s game that needs to be mentioned. The combined bands of United and Blacklick Valley and Conemaugh Valley and Ferndale were tremendous today and I’m sure all season long. Seeing bands that are 70+ kids strong just adds to the Saturday afternoon atmosphere.

And one last thing, CV’s public address announcer thanked everyone from players, coaches, game officials, etc. for all the work they put in to bring us a successful high school football season. I need to add a shout out to that public address announcer for the work he has done over the years to make CV football, which hasn’t always been all that good, more pleasant to watch.
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Blueandwhitefan »

:ymapplause: :-ss :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
knowitall wrote: October 29th, 2022, 5:35 pm There is another thing about today’s game that needs to be mentioned. The combined bands of United and Blacklick Valley and Conemaugh Valley and Ferndale were tremendous today and I’m sure all season long. Seeing bands that are 70+ kids strong just adds to the Saturday afternoon atmosphere.

And one last thing, CV’s public address announcer thanked everyone from players, coaches, game officials, etc. for all the work they put in to bring us a successful high school football season. I need to add a shout out to that public address announcer for the work he has done over the years to make CV football, which hasn’t always been all that good, more pleasant to watch.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!
cleaverstuart
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by cleaverstuart »

knowitall wrote: October 29th, 2022, 5:35 pm There is another thing about today’s game that needs to be mentioned. The combined bands of United and Blacklick Valley and Conemaugh Valley and Ferndale were tremendous today and I’m sure all season long. Seeing bands that are 70+ kids strong just adds to the Saturday afternoon atmosphere.

I have to agree about the CV/Ferndale band, it was the best of the bands I've seen this year and that includes the couple of Liggy fames I've been.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Not so fast, fellas. The scarcity of referees for Friday night games (it's real) will mean some games will have to be played on Saturdays, and even on a Thursday nt. Is there room in the Dino corral for one more? LOL
It ain't over until it's over.
bluejay84
Freshman
Freshman

Post by bluejay84 »

Your kind words are much appreciated. It’s been a privilege to call our Saturday afternoon home games for all these years and I am going to miss that atmosphere.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Growing up I went to a lot of the Westmont games on Saturday afternoons because I lived right there and it was something to do. You'd often see kids from McCort, Johnstown, Richland etc. at the Westmont games too for that same reason. I liked it. They did their homecoming game on a Saturday afternoon. I hope they continue to do one game like that each year.
badguy
Junior
Junior

Post by badguy »

Paul- the voice of Saturday afternoon at Thomas Yewcic Stadium. So many great memories of Saturday afternoons at CV. Mr. Buriak does a fantastic job announcing games for the Blue Jays.

Although, Friday Night Lights are special, there is something nostalgic about CV Saturday games.

I question the investment and safety of lights at CV. Low enrollment in the program would give me caution. The hillside at night is a concern. Lack of other facilities at field level would be a greater priority for the program.