H.S. Basketball Rules Changes

Hardwood chatter
Rumorman78
Freshman
Freshman

H.S. Basketball Rules Changes

Post by Rumorman78 »

, PIAA has altered free-throw rules in boys and girls basketball, eliminating one=one situations.Rather than a 1+1 after common/non shooting fouls,teams will receive 2 foul shots in 23-24.The new rule also changes when teams get in the bonus. That will happen after a team commits 5 fouls in a quarter, as opposed to 7 in a half as before. Last year a team would shoot a 1+1 from fouls 7-9, than 2 shots from ten and beyond in a half. Team fouls will reset at the end of each period under the new rules. I realize many members of the forum may be aware of these changes, but I am sure there are also a few who are not, that is why I went into such detail. I am not sure yet how I feel about the changes, If a team plays an aggressive style of defense they will get more fouls to give in a half before penalties. Fans will see more fouling because you get to foul four times without a consequence per qt. That 16 a game, up 4 from 12 before. It will make big comebacks more difficult
at the end of games. PIAA members said the rule was adopted because of to many serious injuries when rebounding on the 1+1 shots , and of course it will speed the game up. I guess because of my age, I do not like change, but it seems in todays society ,everything must be done in a hurry. Baeball was to slow, change the rules , football to slow ,change how the game clock stops and starts. Basketlball to slow, put in shot clock. I realize I am in the minority in the above opinion, but I think we need to slow down and smell the roses, boy thats an old saying.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: H.S. Basketball Rules Changes

Post by Manfred »

I agree with you. And am grateful you posted the rule changes. I don't like accepting change either, just for the sake of change. If it actually did what was intended, fine, but as in anything, there are always ways around rules.
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I believe the change is nationwide for high school basketball, not just PIAA.
District5Fan
Freshman
Freshman

Post by District5Fan »

I wouldn’t say that this is a random change, as this is the same structure as the NBA. Now if college basketball would get rid of the dumb idea of halves rather than quarters, there would be come good consistency.
hilltoppanther
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by hilltoppanther »

Adopting this rule without also adopting the shot clock, makes no sense.
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

hilltoppanther wrote: July 18th, 2023, 2:54 pm Adopting this rule without also adopting the shot clock, makes no sense.
I'll agree 100% makes zero sense
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable