2023 AAABA

It could be....It might be.....It is!!! A Home Run!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

2023 AAABA

Post by Manfred »

Well, Johnstown does it for the 2nd time, winning the AAABA title over New Orleans 3-2. A much weaker over-all tournament compared to the days when the "Power 4" ruled, teams like Detroit, Washington, New Orleans, and Baltimore dominated every year, it's still a very good entertaining week of collegiate level baseball. Most of these teams are now made up of JUCO and small college players as opposed to mainly D1 like 20, 30 years ago. Mainline Pharmacy, the new Champion, is mostly UPJ players and other similar schools. So is Johnstown under-rated, or are these other franchises from around the country watered down compared to "back in the day"?
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: 2023 AAABA

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

There are just so many iterations of college wooden bat summer baseball all over the country, I think there are just more options for players to play in nowadays which has diminished the AAABA product. It’s not necessarily their fault, just more options out there. Heck Johnstown alone has two variations of the same product.

I do think the quality of baseball locally has picked up overall, but even the best players from here are off in better leagues during the summer. Martella’s day two starter in this year’s tournament played elsewhere this summer but they kept him rostered and played him in a few games so he could qualify for the tournament.

I still think the AAABA is a fairly entertaining event and it’s good for the region, but it would be cool if they could get creative and find some new franchises like they did with the Carolina team a few years ago. Altoona has a two team league and both qualified for the tournament. I’m sure they could come up with a better option.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

I'm shocked (but glad) that the fans still support this tournament as well as they do. Obviously helps that Johnstown 's team are more competitive with the current level of talent.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Going back maybe 20 years, there used to be at least 3 regional qualifiers just to get to the tournament, which eliminated a lot of good teams as well as not so good teams. The teams at that time had maybe half their rosters of D1 talent, from all over the country. Now it's all JUCO, D2,D3 and HS players. No wonder the hosts are able to compete and win, the talent has levelled off. Even New Orleans is practically all players from 1 JUCO, Delgado CC. Fans will turn out for the free Coney Island dogs and a chance to win those $500 grand prizes. Ah, the days past of when they gave away a CAR!
It ain't over until it's over.