JMU gets Punished for Success

The name says it all!
TheAncientEnemy2000
Freshman
Freshman

JMU gets Punished for Success

Post by TheAncientEnemy2000 »

"Requirements for members transitioning into FBS are based on factors beyond athletics performance," the Division I Board of Directors Administrative Committee said in a statement. "They are intended to ensure schools are properly evaluating their long-term sustainability in the subdivision. Sponsoring sports at this level requires increased scholarships, expanded athletics compliance efforts, and additional academic and mental health support for student-athletes, and the transition period is intended to give members time to adjust to those increased requirements to position student-athletes at those schools for long-term success."

Again, the NCAA proves how much of a failure it really is in the current times. All of those boxes are checked. So, why aren't those things listed above evaluated on a case by case basis? If James Madison is able to accomplish that faster than someone else who is also transitioning to FBS, why is JMU handcuffed?

"Division I members continually assess transition requirements, and the board continues to believe that if Division I members do not think the requirements are appropriate, those concerns should be addressed through rules changes rather than waiver requests."

Yes. I am sure the programs who annually go 6-6 and scrape by on bowl payouts are jumping at the chance to add more successful programs stacked on top of them. The whole thing needs blown up and re-stared with a ladder system similar to soccer. But that'll never happen in American sports, because we have convinced ourselves "change is too hard".