Summer Football Camp Memories

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
foghorn
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Summer Football Camp Memories

Post by foghorn »

In a little over a month the boys will be hitting the fields. Like a lot of players, I have mixed feelings of summer football camps, especially when I was a soph and basically, it seemed to me, was cannon fodder.

Maybe some people could share some memories of those special times, which I never appreciated. Now that I'm older I wish I had savored every second because for most of us it's a one-time deal.

Anyway, my strongest memory of camp was one ungodly hot day when I was a soph and snuck over to Shober's Run and gulped down about a gallon of creek water. (That was when, for some sadistic reason, we only got about one water break per practice.) I have a feeling about a thousand other guys who played at Bedford did the same thing. Anyway, I got sicker than a dog, but at the time it seemed worth it.

I've got a lot of other summer football memories, but I'd like to read someone else's.
"Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much."
-- John Wayne
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

I'll throw out a few:

Now this is Jr. High, but I guess it counts. During practice, running in single file behind D-Con (Coach Smith) in an aimless pattern through the varsity as they were practicing, singing 'We're Not Gonna Take It' by Twisted Sister. Made practice entertaining. And he still remembers my name, even though I wasn't a standout player.

Never drank out of Shobers that I can remember. We must have been allowed two trips to the trough.

When I was in 10th, during the '85 season, I can remember watching 'Revenge of the Nerds' in the locker room before games with most of the team there. Strange group of guys, but they got the job done on the field. That was a very fun team to play on. Good memories. Thanks for the topic foghorn.
foghorn
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by foghorn »

A, that sounds like something right out of a movie! 'Course Smitty truly was and is 'twisted."

If I ever write a story about football, I'm gonna use that in one of my scenes. Thanks.
-- John Wayne
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

Here's another one for ya.

I quit playing after 10th grade so I didn't personally witness this, but some of the varsity players when I was a senior took one of the underclassmen, stripped him to his underwear, and drug him thru a mud hole up on the varsity field. I won't mention names as to who did it, but they did get in a good bit of trouble for it. Can't remember why they did it to the poor kid. He probably deserved it though.

D-Con was a good coach. Was my class the only one to call him that or did everyone know him that way?

I'll keep thinking! Maybe I can come up with some more.
BisonBlue07
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BisonBlue07 »

Since I'm just a sophomore this one is fresh in my mind. Last year during practice one day a lineman messed up a blocking assignment horribly and coach Smith pulled his pants up to about his boobs, and his junk was almost hanging out and then he ran over to the kid yelling and screaming like an ogre, not a mad scream, just a funny scream Then he pulled his hair up and it was all over the place. Of course he ate some grass and did a belly bump with the kid afterwards, lol. The funniest part of the entire thing was later though. He still had his hair all over the place and his pants hiked up and we were going over how to block a kick and he went to show us. It was hilarious because he did a slow motion move of how to get through the line and then he just dove flat out on his big fat belly showing us how to lay out to block the kick. Funniest thing I ever saw on a football field, even the other coaches were laughing.

I know I'll never ever forget Coach Dan Smith and it is a blessing to be a player of his. Whenever he isn't coaching anymore the Bedford football team will have lost one of its greatest coaches EVER~!!.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theismann
Gunner18
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Gunner18 »

dan smith is by far one of the funniest men ive ever met whether it b in the classroom or on the feild...great man!
STRAIGHT
foghorn
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by foghorn »

I always thought it would be great to make a movie of Smitty. Too bad Chris Farley died. He'd be a great Dan.

One time in summer camp Topper made the linemen do the bull in the ring drill until we were all delirious. Two guys -- I forget who -- got confused and came at the bull from opposite angles. The bull ducked, the attackers collided, and knocked each other out totally. Topper loved it!
-- John Wayne