Bush/Lincoln

Discuss all political matters here!
LionPride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Bush/Lincoln

Post by LionPride »

[quote="once a runner";p="67392"]I thought better of staying out of the abortion issue, but ....

Abortion is seen as a black/white issue when indeed it's a gray issue. In general, I'm opposed to abortion. However, there are cases where I see it as ok. I had a friend, who is a good Christian woman, whose child was determined to be very deformed during her 7th month of pregnancy. One choice was go full term, give birth to a very deformed child who would have no chance in life and completely drain the families resources and time. The other was to abort the child and give it a Christian burial. Certainly not an easy decision for someone who considers themselves pro-life. Would overturning Roe v. Wade allow for these gray circumstances? There are many more situations similar to this. Not every abortion is committed by a woman trying to elude her responsibility.[/quote]

Southpaw - you can blame me for this topic going to abortion.

Runner - I sympathize with that situation, I trully do. That poor family went through hell and I will say a prayer for them.

However, a baby in the womb at 7 months has a chance at life. With the logic you just described, why would it be any different to go out and euthanize someone that just fell off a ladder and had permanent brain damage, but could still live? Where does it end? What about a child born and 2 days later it was determined the child had MS? Should we euthanize that child because of the difficulties the child and family will face? I certainly don't know all the circumstance behind your example, but I know what a baby looks like at 7 months, and that child is human.

I know you will all say that my examples include someone already born. But when you believe that life starts at conception, there is no difference. Please try to see and understand what I'm saying before you sound off on me.

I do believe there is one instance when an abortion is necessary. During the pregnancy, before the baby can live outside the womb, if it is determined the mother will die from the pregnancy. In this instance, 2 lives would be lost without the abortion, instead of one. I know many mothers that could not make that decision, and would gladly trade places with their unborn child in that situation, but that is an unfortunate reality that some families must face. I know I'll get bashed on this stand, but that's how I feel.

And runner - you did hit one point (sort of) that I agree with. Far too many abortions are done as a form of birth control.
Last edited by LionPride on September 20th, 2011, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
fleaflicker
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by fleaflicker »

Abortion is a gray issue, and I think under certain conditions, like the mother's life being endangered, it should be allowed. As far as once a runner's post, that child sounds familar to the situation in Florida still ongoing after over a decade. There's a certain woman on life support, she has been for 13 years, and she can't eat, drink, or do much of anything. Life is precious, but she's been in that condition for 13 years. I would hate to see any person, or any living creature, in such a state of peril. It's better to have a merciful ending than a torturous life in cases such as those.
Last edited by fleaflicker on September 20th, 2011, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift." -Steve Prefontaine
once a runner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by once a runner »

I guess we all see abortion as justifiable in certain situations. Certainly everyone has an opinion at just where the line should be drawn. I do believe a line must be drawn, but legislating that line will be a real nightmare.
Last edited by once a runner on September 20th, 2011, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
runnerbyproxy
Freshman
Freshman

Post by runnerbyproxy »

Somebody actually compared George W. Bush to Abraham Lincoln in the Bedford Gazette? Is this some sort of a plot to sell more newspapers or what?

That's the funniest thing I've heard in this whole campaign! Foghorn, since I'm not a local, if you could post the text somehow, I'd love to read it.

I say you give a few of the people here a soap box and put them on the corner at lunchtime in downtown Bedford. The oratory ought to be terrific! Such fine and opinionated men, I swear. Besides the clamor might not hurt the local business traffic either, you know? The lord helps those who help themselves, even in the local economy.
Last edited by runnerbyproxy on September 20th, 2011, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

I think the real argument against abortion is using it for the purpose of birth control, for people who don't want their lifestyle changed by a newborn.