BleacherCoaches - Statewide

Feature Articles, General Announcements, Etc.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

BleacherCoaches - Statewide

Post by Coach »

Loyal users of BleacherCoaches, back in August of 2003 this site was started in an afternoon by a couple of sports fans. Over the 7 and a half years, this site has grown past what any of us could have imagined locally at that time. It all started with Bedford County and when our guys from the Laurel Highlands area got into things, the site really started to take off. Now we have almost 200,000 posts, 12,500 topics, 6,000+ users, and 68 posts per day!

Recently, I started messing around with the idea of making this more of a statewide site while being able to maintain your local "home" on the web and set the forums up in a way that makes this possible. There really are no other sites in PA that have the type of local traffic and discussion we have here, and I wanted to spread that out across the state. BleacherCoaches has changed how we get our local sports info. You don't have to wait for the news, newspaper, etc to find the information you want to get. With the boom of smartphones, it is amazing at how quickly scores and updates can be posted from games. I was able to update scores from playoff games and check scores from another game 30 miles away and I loved that.

If this takes off, and I know there will be plenty of naysayers, it will be a major accomplishment for this website. I want this to be the place where people can go for scores, information, etc. We've already been mentioned before in several newspapers locally. When a SW region wrestler has to face a kid out of the NE, I'd like to see something where information can be shared. I know I'll spend 95% of my time on here in my own home area of the site, but at the same time it would be great to be able to find out information about that District 3 or 9 team that one of our locals is being matched up against. I'm hoping to see radio broadcast information, highlight films, news, scores....everything we have now, but now other parts of the state can get addicted to the site like many of us are.

So, will this take off? I don't know. It won't do much now, I'm sure of that. However the ground is there for the upcoming fall and winter seasons to see if we can grow. If not, it didn't change anything here. Hopefully, you will embrace this new vision and you'll help instead of hinder the progress. If you know much about other areas of the state I invite you to help get things started. A group of football coaches at Northern Bedford joked around that we should start a site where people can talk about local sports almost 8 years ago and it happened. Hopefully, the same thing happens this time around.

If you have any suggestions let me know and if you can help recruit some people to help get things kicked off that would be great too.

Thanks,
Garry