Slippery Rock Indoor Meet...

PIAA- Track and Field
brlnsoccerchick19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Slippery Rock Indoor Meet...

Post by brlnsoccerchick19 »

Is anyone going to the HS indoor meet at Slippery Rock this Friday? A couple of kids from Berlin, myself included, are planning on competing.
JDB12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by JDB12 »

Ahh you are lucky. I wanted to compete in indoor track until I had knee surgery in November. Obviously I can't go, but I wish ya the best of luck!
brlnsoccerchick19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Thanks! I was comparing my times to the ones that placed at the other HS meet up there about two weeks ago and its looking like I'll do half descent. Now, if the weather'll hold out so I can get there without killing myself I'll be set! lol
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

I hate that track

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

I HATE SRU's indoor track...Around the far corner, you run through a tunnel with lots and lots of STALE air. Still, I turned a 4:29 indoor mile there in college.

WT
JDB12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by JDB12 »

Yeah, I'm like you brlnsoccerchick.. I compare a lot of my times and distances with college runners to see how close mine would be. The weather isn't looking too good for the rest of the week though, gettin up there might be a problem. haha

A 4:29 mile? That is awesome. I wish I could run a mile that fast, but I'm not a distance runner at all.
brlnsoccerchick19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Me too...I'm a strictly sprinter-middle distance track girlie. I ran the 3200 ONCE, and I will never run that again. Too bad XC is during soccer season, though...running that far and not being in a circle isn't too bad. My soccer team used to have to run 2.5 miles around Berlin every day before practice and we were timed sometimes and my best time was 16:18...I didn't care how fast it was...I just wanted to be the first one done. lol
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

haha

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

A 4:29 mile indoors in college at the D2/D3 level is respectable, but nothing special. My PR indoors for the mile was 4:26 at BucknellU. At the time, I was just beginning speedwork for outdoor track, so I was nowhere near top form. If I recall, I finished in around 5th-6th place in that race. I did manage to run 4:16 outdoors.

Watch that far turn at SRU...The stale air in there really stinks. The track is pretty hard, too, and you can't wear spikes, so wear shoes with a good grip.

Good luck.

WT
JDB12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by JDB12 »

haha.. Well, when I mean I'm not a distance runner, I really mean I don't run much farther than a 200 lol. I know it's all in my head, but I just hate running 400s, unless it is for the relay team..The open 400 really sucks though.
brlnsoccerchick19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

I actually really like running the Open 400. What sucks is running the 4x100 right after! And I HATE running at meets in Maryland...we ran against Northern and Southern Garrett last year and down there the events are all screwed up. I think I ran the 4x200 relay (that have that instead of Jav) into the 400, and then the 800 into the 4x100. Not only did it suck that it was SO cold that day, but the meet didn't start til like 5pm and it being dark made it seem so much colder. AND the track there is asphalt and killed my shins and with their 800, the track must be off distance wise because you run the first 500 meters of the race in your own lane and then cut in at the first 4x100 exchange zone. Man, was I confused. Not that it takes much sometimes, lol, but still, that was harsh.
JDB12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by JDB12 »

They have a 4x200 race there? I always wondered if high school track did that because I know college does. I know what you mean by running things back to back.. My sophomore year all four of my events were towards the end of the meet. My first event was the triple jump, which I would have to do run throughs and try to get my first jump in, then I would have to sign out to go run the 400..then sign back in for my second jump. Then, I'd sign back out to go run the 200.. Then sign back in to finish my last jump. And by that time, I would have to go run the 1600 relay. I was so tired by the end of the night- it was terrible and i felt like crap.