2015 Mountain League Football Preview

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

2015 Mountain League Football Preview

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

[center]1. Central[/center]

KEY Players - Noah Benton (QB) Justin Helsel (WR) Alex Hoenstine (RB)

Central had a lot to prove in 2014. After all, the Dragons were coming off a district championship in 2013 and many of their key players needed to be replaced. I think Central passed all their tests as well as they could, finishing with a 9-3 record and a berth in the District Six AA semifinals. All things point to this team being even better this year, and they appear to be the favorites to take home the district crown.

Central had a powerful and balanced offense in 2014, and many key parts of that unit are back for this season. Noah Benton threw for over 1,300 yards and 18 touchdowns in his first year as a starting quarterback. Benton will be even better this season with a year under his belt. He is not a running quarterback by trade, but has the wheels to make plays with his feet. Alex Hoenstine was a versatile player for last season's offense as he rushed for over 500 yards while compiling 500 receiving yards as well. Look for Hoenstine to stuff the stat sheet once again in 2015. Central's other big player on offense was Justin Helsel. He hauled in 38 receptions, 11 of which went for touchdowns. The trio of offensive players is as good as you will see in District Six, and should make for another scary good offense in 2015.

The Central defense has revenge on their minds. After having a very good season overall, the Dragons were humbled in the district playoffs by Mt. Union. Look for Central to take that personally and get back to the hard-hitting, physical team they have been known to be. The defensive line should be led by Brice Brumbaugh in the middle with Blaize Mock and Cameron Norris providing excellent pass rush on the ends. Jordan Quarello is one of the best linebackers in the league, and will be set for a big year. Justin Helsel and Alex Hoenstine combined for nine interceptions in 2014, and form one of the better secondary units in the district.

Bottom Line - Central sire looks like the odd's on favorite to take the D6 AA crown. They have a special offense and a good core back on defense. There's not much to dislike about this team on paper. This Central program has been very good and consistent lately, and expect this year to be no different.

[center]2. Clearfield[/center]

KEY Players - Ryan Lezzar (WR) Seth Caldwell (RB) Cody Spaid (QB)

Clearfield is coming off a very solid 9-3 season. The Bison came up short in the district playoffs as they fell to a very good Somerset team in the sub-regional championship by a score of 27-0. Clearfield has enough in place to contend for the Mountain championship, but also to take another crack at Somerset to win the AAA sub-region.

Seth Caldwell will look to assume the role as the featured player on offense. After two very good seasons, Caldwell has already amassed 1,700+ yards rushing and 14 touchdowns in his career in a reserve role, and he is set to be a star in his junior season. Corey Shimmel posted a 500 yard season last year, and should aid in the rushing attack himself. Cody Spaid stands in at 6 foot 7 inches tall, and is one of the more imposing quarterbacks in the area. He threw for over 800 yards in 2014 as a junior, and should be set to improve on that mark this season. What can really separate this offense is Ryan Lezzer. In his sophomore season, Lezzer proved to be one of the top playmakers in the conference, and is special with the ball in the open field. The Bison should have no issues scoring points with these dynamic weapons on offense.

The defense will look to replace some key players. Losing their top three tacklers will hurt, but Tim Janocko's squad has some talent ready to assume bigger roles. Travis Ogden, Nathan Lash, and RJ Ward should form a strong defensive line with experience. Ogden will lead the way after posting five sacks in 2014. Christian Rumery is the lone starter back at linebacker, and is a candidate to be the leading tackler in 2015. Ryan Lezzer is a talented defensive back, and one that may garner some interest from division one colleges.

Bottom Line - Clearfield has the pieces to make a run at a league championship. They have a strong offense, with enough back on defense to make it interesting with Central atop the Mountain League standings. Clearfield may have also closed the gap on Somerset a bit, and should make for an exciting race in the AAA playoffs.

[center]3. Tyrone[/center]

KEY Players - Gary Weaver (RB) Richard Reader (DE) Colby Pannebaker (DT)

Tyrone notched their 9th District Six AA Championship last season. It put them one ahead of Forest Hills for the most all-time. It is just another testament to the strength and tradition of the Tyrone program. The Golden Eagles lose a great deal of talent from last season, but expectations are still high in 2015 and a championship is never out of the question with Tyrone.

The Tyrone offense will have to replace nearly all of their production from their skilled players. The quarterback position will likely go to 6'3" senior, Drew Hunter, although he will be pushed by Kyle Plummer and Denver Light. Hunter attempted just 7 passes in a reserve role in 2014, but should be able to operate the Tyrone pro-style attack comfortably. Tyrone loses their top two rushers from 2014, but should be in capable hands with speedy junior, Gary Weaver. As a sophomore, Weaver rushed for 231 yards and 3 scores. He flashed some ability, and will be ready to carry on the great tradition of Tyrone running backs. Look for Phoenix Farias to also see some carries. Tyrone's top seven pass catchers are gone from last season, but Cullen Raftery is a candidate to take on a bigger role. The strength of the Tyrone offense may very well be up front with the line. Richard Reader and Colby Pannebaker lead the charge there.

On defense, it also starts with Reader and Pannebaker leading the line. Nick Bonsell is another key factor on the line. The linebackers should be paced by junior AJ Grassi. Grassi is coming off a good campaign as a sophomore, and will be counted on to a be a leader this season. The secondary returns Cullen Raftery and Zach Soellner.

Bottom Line - Obviously Tyrone has strength in the trenches on offense and some key components to their defense. Everything is in place for Tyrone to have another successful season, but finding guys to replace the skilled positions is going to be key. Garrett Hunter leaves a big void at QB, just like Aleic Hunter does at running back. Tyrone always finds a way, and I expect them to be one of the best teams in the area once again.

[center]4. Huntingdon[/center]

KEY Players - Hudson Speck (QB) Jake Wagner (RB) Jacob Oliver (FB)

Huntingdon finished the 2014 season with a 6-6 mark and a second round exit in the District Six AA playoffs. It was a welcome turnaround year for the Bearcats after a three year absence from the postseason. Huntingdon returns many important players from 2014, and there is hope they can take another step forward this season.

Huntingdon's offense starts with their senior back, Jake Wagner. The 5'10" 175 pound senior rushed for 1,300 yards and 19 touchdowns in 2014. He also proved that he can come up in the passing game as he caught two touchdowns last year. Wagner also returned three kickoffs for touchdowns in 2014, and is one of the most dangerous open field runners in the league. Jacob Oliver should contribute in the rushing game after coming up with a solid sophomore season. Hudson Speck returns for his third year as the starting quarterback. Speck has some running ability, and that element should open up the offense. He needs to limit turnovers with his passing, but with two years of starting experience, things should click for him in 2015. Speck's top target in the passing game returns in Tyler Scott. The senior wideout hauled in 21 passes last year. Tight End Logan Fisher should also be a key figure in the passing game.

Huntingdon returns nearly every player from last year's defense. The top eleven tacklers from 2014 are back headed by the linebacker quartet of Jake Wagner, Jacob Oliver, Drew Simpson, and Logan Fisher. Hunter Price and Lief Brown form a formidable duo at defensive end, and they should provide stability on the defensive line. Obviously the defense struggled at times last year, but with all that is returning, they should be an improved unit overall.

Bottom Line- Huntingdon started to figure things out mid-season last year, and should be able to carry some momentum into this season. They have tons of experience on both sides of the ball, and a really good player to lead the team in Jake Wagner. Can they challenge for a Mountain title? Hard to say, but they should be able to compete with the top half of the league more this season. A return to the District Six AA playoffs should be in their sights.

[center]5. Bellefonte[/center]

KEY Players - Austin Jackson (RB) Dillon Kephart (LB) Mark Armstrong (QB)

Bellefonte won three games from 2011-2013. The Red Raiders matched that total last season alone with a 3-7 record. Shannin Manning's squad took a big step forward for a struggling program, and with a good core returning, there is reason to believe Bellefonte can win a few more games this season.

Bellefonte returns a balanced and solid rushing attack. Four different backs return all capable of making plays. The quartet is led by senior, Austin Jackson. As a junior in 2014, Jackson rushed for 628 yards and 8 touchdowns with a 9.5 yards per carry average. He is joined by Dillon Kephart (471 yards 3 touchdowns) and Nick Jabco (324 yards). Tyler Kreger should also see some touches. With a strong running game in place, the passing game may improve as well. Mark Armstrong is back after being the top QB last year, and Chase Gardner should also push for playing time also. Senior Kellen Moss was the team's top receiver last year, and should be the top target once again.

Defensively, the Red Raiders are led by one of the better linebackers in the area in David Kephart. As a junior, Kephart finished with 109 total tackles, 7 tackles for loss, and 3 sacks. Kephart is poised for another big year leading coach Shannon Manning's defense. Tyler Kreger finished second on the team in tackles, and is also a very good linebacker. Look for Logan Harter to lead the defensive line. Storm Smith, Jon Kerschner, and Austin Jackson all return to give the secondary a solid unit with experience.

Bottom Line - Bellefonte is coming off a three win campaign, but they have everything in place to improve on that mark. If they can get some improvement from Mark Armstrong and the passing game, it will give the Raiders a balanced attack. The defense should see some improvements also.

[center]6. Penns Valley[/center]

KEY Players - Ben Alexander (Ath) Chase Collison (RB) Andrew Tobias (QB)

Penns Valley did not have a strong campaign in 2014. The Rams mustered a disappointing 2-8 season. Penns Valley had some close losses, and that was the difference in maybe 2-3 wins. The goal in 2015 will be to win some of these close games, and contend for a District Six AA playoff berth.

Ben Alexander is one of the best kept secrets in District Six, but I would imagine the Mountain League knows all about him. Alexander is a very productive football player that can impact the game in so many ways. The senior athlete runs the read option as a quarterback very well, and rushed for nearly 800 yards last season. He threw for 775 yards as well, and even caught a couple of touchdown passes. If Alexander is not the quarterback, 6'3" junior Andrew Tobias is a capable signal caller. Big Chase Collison is a bruising runner that should see an increase in carries this season.

The defense is going to have to retool quite a bit. The Rams lose seven of their top eight tacklers, and will have to bring along some new starters into big roles. Chase Collison figures to be a team leader and one of the best players on defense in 2015. He is a big and strong linebacker that has a knack for the ball. Generating turnovers would be a welcomed addition in 2015, as they only forced nine in 10 games last season.

Bottom Line - Penn Valley has an exciting player in Ben Alexander, and he will carry them as far as he can. Still, the defense has a lot of issues and question marks. I do believe the Rams will find a way to put up points, but jumping into the top half of the league will be difficult.

[center]7. Bald Eagle Area[/center]

KEY Players-Hunter Hockenberry (RB) Josh Fye (DT) Elliott Peters (LB)

Bald Eagle had some mild expectations in 2014. They were coming off two straight playoff berths and some talent coming back, but they could only muster a 2-8 season. They will look to bounce back in 2015, but will have plenty of holes to fill.

Quarterback will likely be manned by Trevor Kresovich. He saw some action as a sophomore last season, but will likely be the man to lead the offense in 2015. Hunter Hockenberry is set to be the lead tailback after rushing for 232 yards and 3 touchdowns in 2014. Elliott Peters will also see some action in the backfield for the Bald Eagles. Cole Robison is the team's top returning receiver as a tight end, and should factor into the passing game. Josh Fye is back to lead an offensive line with some good size.

The defense will be anchored by big Joshua Fye. He is a massive presence at defensive tackle, and his play should set the table for linebackers Elliott Petes and Cole Robinson to make some tackles. Aside from that, plenty of new faces will have to move into starter's roles. Bald Eagle's defense was obviously a weakness in 2014, and any sign of improvement would be a welcomed one.

Bottom Line - After a nice run for a few years, Bald Eagle appears to be back into rebuilding mode. They lose quite a bit from last year, and will be setting themselves up for future success with this season, but it's hard to picture them contending for a third playoff berth in four years.

[center]8. Philipsburg-Osceola[/center]

KEY Players - Jake Anderson (QB) Ty Laird (RB) Caleb Belinda (WR)

For a once proud and successful program, Philipsburg-Osceola has really fallen on some hard times. After a playoff berth in 2011, the Mountaineers have just one win in the past three seasons for a 1-29 total record in that span. The goal this season is to compete, and take a step forward and get back to their winning ways.

Jake Anderson is back to lead the offense at quarterback. The lefty is a good passer, and is mobile enough to make plays with his feet as well. He is a good player, and a lot of PO's success this year will rely on him. Ty Laird is a good back, and will be a featured player for the Mountie offense. Caleb Belinda proved to be a good receiving option, and should be one of Anderson's top targets.

Jake Anderson is a good two-way player, and is one of the better safeties in the league. I look for Skyler Rebo to be one of the team leaders and should be a foce from his defensive tackle spot.

Bottom Line - Roster numbers are up, and there are some experienced players in the fold, it could be a better year for Philipsburg than the past three. The Mounties have some good offensive weapons, and should have the necessary depth to compete this year. Playoffs seem to be a long shot, but getting a few in the win column is well within reach.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: 2015 Mountain League Football Preview

Well, part three of my 5 part conference previews. If you haven't caught them, I have ones for the Laurel Highlands and WestPac done as well. Like I mention with all my other previews, feel free to correct me on some information. I'm not sure if kids quit, transfer, are injured, move away ect... I work off of Maxpreps and Hudl primarily, so I base my rankings/picks off the resources at my disposal.

Thanks for reading, still need to finish previews for Heritage and ICC. I think I'll shoot to have the Heritage done sometime next week.

- Jim
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

Nice job! 1&2 are interchangeable I believe. Don't know it to be fact, but heard Oliver isn't back for H-don, to focus on winter.... Just scuttlebutt
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

That would be a pretty big blow for them, but thanks for the kind words. I was nervous about doing a Mountain Preview with so many Tyrone and Central fans on here, I wanted to make it good, hopefully I did alright.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Fine job as always!
crfball
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by crfball »

I also heard Oliver isn't coming back and I thought Tyrone won their tenth title last year and I also thought Huntingdon beat Juniata in the first round of the playoffs last year?
Last edited by crfball on August 15th, 2015, 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
crfball
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by crfball »

Quick question will you do a preview for Ridge? Lol
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

crfball wrote:I also heard Oliver isn't coming back and I thought Tyrone won their tenth title last year and I also thought Huntingdon beat Juniata in the first round of the playoffs last year?
It was Tyrone's 10th but 9th in AA.... Won 1st in AAA in '87
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

[quote="crfball"]I also heard Oliver isn't coming back and I thought Tyrone won their tenth title last year and I also thought Huntingdon beat Juniata in the first round of the playoffs last year?[/quote]

Huntingdon did indeed beat Juniata and then lost to Tyrone in the 2nd round.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Very nice. Also heard Oliver wasn't back. I think I read it in the blitz magazine.