Pirates Game 118 Thoughts: 6-5 win over the Giants

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Pirates Game 118 Thoughts: 6-5 win over the Giants

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

The Pirates completed a sweep of the San Francisco Giants this afternoon. It also wrapped up a highly successful 5-1 road trip to two playoff caliber teams, some of the best baseball this team has played all year to be quite honest. They have now won 4 straight and are 63-56 on the year.  The bats from some of their slumping guys are starting to wake up, the bullpen has been really good, and the starting rotation has made it through 2 cycles with the same 5 pitchers for the first time in a while.  Maybe not outstanding pitching, but consistent. 

--  Ivan Nova was both good and bad today. He allowed 4 runs in 4 innings, but struck out 5 and walked none.  He's a pitch to contact guy, and the type of guy that's just going to eat some innings for this team.  He's started three games for the Pirates, the first 2 weren't bad, but today was not a quality start. He probably could have pitched longer, but Hurdle saw a chance for runs and it worked when the pinch hit for Nova. 

-- Jeff Locke gave them a scoreless inning in just his third appearance in the month of August. Nicasio chipped in two scoreless innings while fanning 2, and walking 2 more.  He's been pretty good as a reliever. He picked up a win for his efforts, his 9th of the year. 

-- Felipe Rivero posted a scoreless inning, and has not allowed an earned run in 8.1 innings as a Pirate. He's also struck out 16 batters in that stretch. 

-- Tony Watson had another eventful save attempt, but got it done somehow. He allowed a run after loading the bases with nobody out. Not the conventional way, but hey -  it worked.  He'll get a much needed day off tomorrow. 

-- Josh Harrison had a 1-4 day and had a sac fly for his 47th RBI on the year.  He's not an ideal lead-off hitter, but Harrison has seemed to pick up his play the past week or so.  His defense has been pretty good, made some nice plays this series. 

-- Starling Marte was 0-5, pretty rare for him this season.  

-- Boy oh boy, Andrew McCutchen.  Is he back?  I mean, is he reallllllly back? Because this road trip has been fun seeing him play good baseball again. Cutch had the go-ahead 2 run bomb in the 5th. He had a triple last night, and was making big plays on the field, stealing bases.  He looked like the guy that's been in the MVP race for the past 4 years. It would be something if he goes on a run down the stretch here. 

-- Gregory Polanco was a quiet 0-4, but he had quite a series with 6 RBI's in the first 2 games. 

-- David Freese was 1-3 and reached base on a HBP as well. 

-- Heck, even John Jaso looked good today.  He went 1-2 with a big gap shot double and drew a pair of walks.

-- Mercer was 0-3 with a walk and a run scored. 

-- Eric Fryer had an RBI on a bases loaded walk. He also scored a run on a sac fly. 

-- The game changing moment was pulling Nova after 4 and bringing in Matt Joyce and he came up with a big 2 run single to pull the Bucs within a run. He's the best pinch hitter in the league, and did his job today. 

The Pirates are hot, and return home to a massive series with the Marlins. Should be exciting baseball on the North Shore this weekend. 
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pirates Game 118 Thoughts: 6-4 win over the Giants

Post by abpk2903 »

6-5*

The rest of your article is good stuff though.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

It makes me want to cry every time Happ gets a win, as he now leads the league
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

abpk2903 wrote:6-5*

The rest of your article is good stuff though.
That's what happens when you start before the bottom of the ninth. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

12HankQB wrote:It makes me want to cry every time Happ gets a win, as he now leads the league
Yeah, Happ is having a good year, an even better year than I expected him to have.  I still don't think signing him for 3 years would've been a good idea.  I think that's when the Pirates backed away. 
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
12HankQB wrote:It makes me want to cry every time Happ gets a win, as he now leads the league
Yeah, Happ is having a good year, an even better year than I expected him to have.  I still don't think signing him for 3 years would've been a good idea.  I think that's when the Pirates backed away. 
I'm 25, the Pirates have always backed away in my life....as I roll back over on to my tear soaked pillow only to see what's left of a faded Josh Fogg poster, with dreams of Adam Hyzdu fulfilling Pirate prophesy...
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
voncap
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pirates Game 118 Thoughts: 6-5 win over the Giants

Post by voncap »

I know there is a set of rules for when a game closing situation qualifies as a save, but have the Pirates added that the closer must let the lead off guy on before he qualifies for a save?  

Melancon seemed to make a habit of  doing that, and now Watson seems to have developed a penchant for doing it also.
The easiest thing to do in sports is hustle.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

It seems like any closer the Pirates have had in recent memory makes things interesting. And the funny thing is, the Pirates always tend to have a good closer, just never one that is lights out. Just goes to show you how rare guys like Chapman or Kimbrel are.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

The Marlins lose again tonight, they were up on the Pirates going into this week, and are now a game and a half behind them heading into the weekend.

How quickly things can change.
dougkeklak
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dougkeklak »

Who would have thunk a weekend series with Miami in mid-August would be so huge?!