A MUST, MUST, MUST READ ABOUT BRIAN SELL!

PIAA- Track and Field
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

A MUST, MUST, MUST READ ABOUT BRIAN SELL!

Post by Coach »

This came from the link that Sam Shuss posted in the Gazette today: http://rwforums.rodale.com/viewThread.j ... 10#1964865

HERE IS THE MESSAGE FROM THE FORUM FOR YOU TO READ:

Today I saw an event so dramatic, it will be life-changing for me.

I went to watch the Olympic trials for the men’s marathon in Birmingham, Alabama. The course began with a 9-mile run into town, followed by three 5.5-mile loops. In order to see the runners as many times as possible, we waited at the spot where the marathoners began the first of their loops. We were especially excited to see the big three: Culpepper, Meb, and Dan Browne.

We had memorized their pictures so that we would recognize them when they came into view. Despite all our preparation, however, when the first runner came into view, we had no idea who he was. We got as close as we could to him, but none of us could determine who he was. We asked another observer, who shrugged and replied that he didn’t know, either.

It wasn’t until the third vantage point, some 12 miles into the race, that we found someone who knew who this was. “Brian Sell,” he said, “With the Hanson-Brook Distance Project.”

“I never heard of him,” I replied. “What kind of time has he run.”

“He’s never done anything special before,” said my informant. “I think he’s run a 1:06 half or something.”

We went back to our first vantage point, which was now the 14.5 mile mark or so. I stood at what would be the 20-mile mark the next lap, found out from another observer that the laps were 5.43 miles, and figured out we were at 14.57 miles. I wanted to know how well this Brian Sell chap was doing. He came through at 1:13:35. I did some brain boggling math on the way to the next vantage point. 5:01 per mile. He was on pace for sub 2:12.

The next vantage point was the 16 mile mark. The math was easier there. 1:20:25; he was really doing 5:01. He was still leading by nearly a minute, and we still had no idea who this guy was. This time, however, we cheered our lungs out for him. Go, Brian! This is one for every underdog there ever was!

We saw him again near 18 miles. The big three had shaken the group they were running with. Only one man was still with them. (That turned out to be Trent Briney, also of the Hanson Brook Distance Project; someone should find out what those people know about marathoning!). They had gained on Brian, but he was still up by 30 seconds.

We went to the 20 mile mark. There was Brian right on time. 1:40:40, if I remember correctly. Still 5:02 per mile. We hollered and hollered. The big three, with their shadow, Trent Briney, was now only 20 seconds behind, though. “Hold on, Brian! You can do it! Yeah!”
My nine-year old son, who had run a 3-mile hospitality run with me that morning, was no longer up to running the vantage points. We wouldn’t be able to see any more of the race till the finish line. I got him an energy bar and a trip to the bathroom, and we made our way slowly towards the finish. With trembling in our hearts, I sent my 12-year-old son over to a friend who had been at the vantage points whether Brian was keeping it up. From a distance, I saw the friend shake his head.

I was disappointed for Brian, but I watched the race to the finish between Culpepper and Meb. I watched Dan Browne look back over his shoulder at no one and then stride proudly and powerfully to the finish. Trent Briney, the big three’s shadow, rolled in after them, looking strong as ever. It was several places and five minutes later before Brian Sell rolled in somewhere about 10th place.

When I got home, I looked Sell up and found out that his best marathon time was in the 2:20’s, and I knew what had happened. I knew what I would have done in his shoes if I had the courage, and Sell did it, and I, for one, am as impressed with what he did as I am with any athletic achievement I have seen in my life.

I can picture Brian Sell saying, “This is my chance. This is my chance to be an Olympian. But if I want to be an Olympian, I’m going to need to run the race of my life. I’m going to need to run sub-2:12. I have no idea if I can do it, but I have to do it. That’s 5:02 or better per mile, so that’s what I’m going to run, and we’ll find out whether that’s possible.”

Then he did it. When the others didn’t go with him, he didn’t care. He ran his 5:01’s and 5:02’s. He kept running his 5:01’s and 5:02’s for 20 miles. Somewhere around the 21-mile mark, his fuel ran out. A friend with a better view told me that Brian staggered sideways across the finish line to be caught in a blanked by a race volunteer.

It inspired me. He did what he had to do. Despite hitting the wall, he set a PR by about three minutes and finished in or near the top 10 of a field that he was lucky to be even in the middle of.

I think it was the greatest athletic feat I’ve ever been privileged to see. God bless him. May he run to greater and greater triumphs, and may his heart provide him success and honor.

I tip my hat to you, Mr. Brian Sell. May I be like you.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
Lemmy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Lemmy »

"I haven't seen too many American distance men on the international scene willing to take risks. I saw some U.S. women in Barcelona willing to risk, more than men. The Kenyans risk. Steve Prefontaine risked. I risked--I went through the first half of the Tokyo race just a second off my best 5000 time."
Billy Mills, gold medal winner of the 10,000 at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics with a 46-second PR. Billy Mills was also the last USA male to win the 10,000 on the track.

Brian took a risk at the marathon trials. Dang, it almost worked. I wish him well at the 10,000 trials!
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. Pre
Soccergrrl
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Soccergrrl »

He is an amazing athlete and to come from such a little school like NB, I was so proud to even hear he was in the trials for the Olympics. He is an inspiration to everyone of us at NB. He is proof we can all do something; we can get out of the cove bubble and accomplish miracles. I wish him the best of luck and have nothing but faith in him when competing in the 10,000 trials.