Urban Meyer's time up?

The name says it all!
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Urban Meyer's time up?

Post by El-Moldo »

In this day and age, there are a myriad of ways to get help when a domestic crisis occurs. The church, hotlines, counselors. It is unfair for a victim to cry on the shoulder of a coach's wife, and then expect her to involve her husband, the coach. The incident in 2009 was dropped due to insufficient evidence. After that, Meyer and his wife DID consult the Smith's. Then, in 2015 incident, charges were never filed. Isn't this episode a case for the law? Was Meyer supposed to babysit this family? Between 2009 and 2015, this should have been taken care of by someone else. Some professional who could have helped them. Milling around for 6 years just wasn't going to cut it. Was it really the job of the OSU athletic department to monitor this family? To keep track with what was going on with this family? 2009 was a warning to this couple. They had 6 years to correct the situation. Don't blame the disintegration of this family on someone else. We're going to bring down an entire institution because a married couple made the wrong choice years ago? Should a school superintendent, who oversees several hundred teachers, be removed because he doesn't act on a problem between one of those teachers and their spouse? And again, were not talking about 16 year-olds being abused. Now if your neighbor's wife shows up at your door at 3AM with a black eye, YES you should get involved. But you can't help everyone, especially when what you hear is, at the time, alleged. Otherwise, every MAN shall bear his own burden.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

If this was James Franklin what would moldo's approach be?
footballfan1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by footballfan1 »

Weren't the police involved?  
TyBiggums17
Freshman
Freshman

Post by TyBiggums17 »

If he does get canned, it’s his own fault. You’d think he’d be savvy enough to immediately get this situation out in the open, fire the assistant and speak out against his actions. Not to cover it up. 
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Fire the assistant on "allegations"? And Franklin got off scot free in the Vanderbilt rape case. Are you saying he didn't know about that?
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I've always thought El-Moldo was just trying to be a PSU antagonist but it turns out he is a full blown jackass.  I'm not saying Urban Meyer did or didn't know this but to blame the woman, who called the police 9 times, is absolutely tasteless.  This is why abuse victims struggle to speak out against their abusers because there are jacka$$es like Moldy out there that try to put some (if not all) of the blame back on the poor woman that was being beaten.  Classless...
ss1082
Freshman
Freshman

Post by ss1082 »

Obviously Moldo you have your opinion and for whatever reason you are going to stand on your soapbox and spout your nonsense. I'm guessing you have no experience in any domestic type issues and that you are speaking out of pure ignorance....or just trying to aggravate. Either way, I don't think anyone is saying that the issue here is that the Meyer's are or were responsible to save the Smith's marriage. As an employee of OSU he is REQUIRED to report this matter. He obviously failed there. Then at the media days he denied knowledge of the 2015 incidents and questioned the reports that were surfacing that he did know. Time will tell if he lied about that. Bottom line is that he could have fired Smith and moved on. Seeing that this is the grandson of Earl Bruce, who was the mentor of Meyer, certainly gives the appearance that maybe he was trying to protect Smith. Again time will tell.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

abpk: Jackass? Tasteless? Classless? I commend your exuberance. Tell me, when did I blame the woman and what for? The gist of my initial post on this thread was simply, "Are we responsible for what someone else does, or what happens to him?" I did not blame the woman for the problems she has encountered with her husband. I did not say she lied about her story. Where did you INFER that I blamed her from what I said? I did ask if we are going to bring down an entire athletic institution because of the bad choices of a married COUPLE (not the wife alone). If the police were called 9 times by Courtney Smith, why wasn't the problem resolved? Maybe Urban should have made a 10th phone call to the cops. How much good would that have done? Many consider King Solomon the wisest man who ever lived. He wrote the book of Proverbs in the Bible. In Proverbs 26:17, he wrote "Interfering in someone else's argument is as foolish as yanking a dog's ears". Why should Ms. Smith involve Meyer in her situation? What does she really hope to achieve when all is said and done?
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Why should Ms. Smith involve Meyer in her situation? What does she really hope to achieve when all is said and done?

To get help/support in getting out of a horrible, horrible situation. 

Now Meyer has come out today saying he knew in 2015 and reported it. We are now in the Joe Pa situation on what is or isnt enough. Meyer knew of the situation for 3 years and did not fire Smith until the situation became public. Meyer also said he knew nothing at Big 10 media day and if he did he would of removed smith immeaditely, which turns out to to be untrue. 
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

On a side note the way ESPN has covered this story is extremely disgusting and if I never turn that station on again thats a win for me.

The amount of evidence shown about Smith in this report is damning, and to have him on to say, "I never hit or touched her" while giving 0 challenge makes me sick. There is evidence being shown where he admits to choking out his wife.... And people wonder why the #MeToo movement is so important.