LHAC releases its sections in HS sports

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: LHAC releases its sections in HS sports

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Wouldn't it have just made more common sense to cancel the JV game if they can't safely field a competitive JV team?
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Why not cancel all JV games, there might be some special teams players on the varsity that can't play on Friday night, never mind the game experience they are getting in JV.
Let's be completely honest CT is not going to play for a state championship. Resting players during the crossover is for what reason?
When BG lost Chadbourne for the season, they still played JV
When Richland lost Lewis this year they still played JV
Beitel went outside the conference to find JV games.

All three programs have thrived.
This is not NCAA football and kids are going to the NFL, so they sit a bowl game.
Play the game. No one has any problem starting flag football in kindergarten, now you want to skip games because you are going to go to the playoffs?. Just play the game.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

You're giving football coaches way too much credit. Some (not all) aren't smart enough to come in out of the rain let alone consider the safety of the kids over the desire to win. Even at the JV level. And oh yeah, it was one of the 3 'thriving' programs that EL mentioned.
Rumorman78
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Rumorman78 »

Another point to consider, would be the following. As a former head coach at a small school in the 70s, we only had 9 games on our schedule. I had a few years where my team was having a poor season, due to injuries, and etc. I was down to less that 20 players. In those years, I never scheduled a 10th game, because I felt we really could not put what I considered a competitive team on the field. Also, as the coach. I felt the players were ready for the season to be over. I not saying what I did was good or bad. As a side note, I believe last year, Glendale withdrew their team out of the playoffs, for some of the same reasons.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Colonel Mustard wrote: October 20th, 2022, 2:43 pm Not to bore everyone with a sob story, but a good source told it to me, so I think it is true and has hit home. A very good local team is so depth-depleted that they had to use a kid that jist joined the team mid-season and had never played QB before at QB in a JV game this week, after losing 3 other skill kids to injury in the game. Whether is was bad luck, lack of experience, or bad coaching decisions that put him in that spot, he took a couple big hits and hasn't been able to make it through a full day of class since because of concussion effects. Take it for what its worth.
Then that is ALL on the coaches who recruited the kid, the kid was ill-prepared to be forced into that position, and any future problems the kid might have is ALL on the coaches.
It ain't over until it's over.
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Now you are making the coaches legally responsible for an injury that is a known risk of stepping on the field. Come on man get a clue.
Are we going to sue the ski club advisors for an injury that occurs in ski club too.
footballfan1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by footballfan1 »

Is there any chance of Huntington turning things around? 2 wins in last two years. Are kids not going out? Attitudes?
davesandstorm
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by davesandstorm »

footballfan1 wrote: October 21st, 2022, 11:56 pm Is there any chance of Huntington turning things around? 2 wins in last two years. Are kids not going out? Attitudes?
Their Jr high team wasn't bad this year, they played ours to a scoreless tie in the first game. They just have no identity on offense at the varsity level. They'll probably continue to struggle in their new division.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

EL: Ski club does not troll the hallways recruiting bodies for strapping on a pr. of skis. One of your weakest counterpoints ever.
It ain't over until it's over.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

EnzoLigoniere wrote: October 21st, 2022, 1:10 pm Now you are making the coaches legally responsible for an injury that is a known risk of stepping on the field. Come on man get a clue.
Are we going to sue the ski club advisors for an injury that occurs in ski club too.
Do you really believe a kid knows the true risks of playing football if they have no experience? That's what the Leaders Of Young Men™️ are supposed to be for.

There's a good reason why the military recruits 17 year olds and not 25 year olds. They are naive and do what they're told.