Julian Fleming

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Julian Fleming

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Anyone else surprised with his role at Ohio State, understandable he has been injured but I think k the expectations were that he would dominate at the D1 level. But it has not happen for him yet. In high school he looked like a for sure future NFL player.
stownJohn
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Julian Fleming

Post by stownJohn »

EnzoLigoniere wrote: September 24th, 2023, 5:39 pm Anyone else surprised with his role at Ohio State, understandable he has been injured but I think k the expectations were that he would dominate at the D1 level. But it has not happen for him yet. In high school he looked like a for sure future NFL player.
Fleming has PSAC level talent so he should consider transferring back home to Bloomsburg.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Could it be that dominating PA AA football isn't a good indicator of how a player may perform in the Powe 5? That and also the kid. Some adjust much better, work harder, etc...than others.
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

Colonel Mustard wrote: September 25th, 2023, 11:47 am Could it be that dominating PA AA football isn't a good indicator of how a player may perform in the Powe 5? That and also the kid. Some adjust much better, work harder, etc...than others.
You're on to something I'll agree
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

Julian Fleming

Post by ERAChamp »

At this point, he definitely has to be considered a bust. However, hopefully, he will get a degree from Ohio State and go onto better things.

I believe this is last year of college ball, but the way the NCAA determines eligibility who knows. Maybe he still has a COVID year, a red shirt year & a medical redshirt!!!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

From his Ohio State bio...
• Julian is a senior academically and has two seasons of eligibility, including an extra year because of the 2020 pandemic season

So this season and next year if he wants it.
District5Fan
Freshman
Freshman

Post by District5Fan »

I know so many people blast AAU basketball, but the good thing about it is that you get to see the best kids playing the best kids (kids that go to Power 5 schools all play on the Nike and Adidas circuits)…that is generally not the case with football. I know there is some travel 7-on-7 football now, but it’s not all that big yet. So, basketball players can see if they really are “that guy” or are they just “that guy in a small town.” If he could have played “AAU football” we might have seen that he wasn’t a P5 guy.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

District5Fan wrote: September 26th, 2023, 8:03 pm I know so many people blast AAU basketball, but the good thing about it is that you get to see the best kids playing the best kids (kids that go to Power 5 schools all play on the Nike and Adidas circuits)…that is generally not the case with football. I know there is some travel 7-on-7 football now, but it’s not all that big yet. So, basketball players can see if they really are “that guy” or are they just “that guy in a small town.” If he could have played “AAU football” we might have seen that he wasn’t a P5 guy.
Is a 34/433/6 stat line as a Redshirt Sophomore really considered a bust or not P5 quality in a WR room that has included Olave, Smith-Njigba, Egbuka, and Harrison JR?
Last edited by CCDevil2012 on September 27th, 2023, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeFLN
Freshman
Freshman

Post by MikeFLN »

Colonel Mustard wrote: September 25th, 2023, 11:47 am Could it be that dominating PA AA football isn't a good indicator of how a player may perform in the Powe 5? That and also the kid. Some adjust much better, work harder, etc...than others.
It didn't stop Tyler Boyd from being a star at Pitt and the number one WR with Cincy until they drafted 2 insanely talented WRs and he became the best number 3 in the game.

It is hard to tell how players are going to develop. Personally I think he is doing OK, and he can transfer next year to a lot of schools where he would be the number 1.
MikeFLN
Freshman
Freshman

Post by MikeFLN »

District5Fan wrote: September 26th, 2023, 8:03 pm I know so many people blast AAU basketball, but the good thing about it is that you get to see the best kids playing the best kids (kids that go to Power 5 schools all play on the Nike and Adidas circuits)…that is generally not the case with football. I know there is some travel 7-on-7 football now, but it’s not all that big yet. So, basketball players can see if they really are “that guy” or are they just “that guy in a small town.” If he could have played “AAU football” we might have seen that he wasn’t a P5 guy.
AAU Basketball and 7 on 7 are not equivalents. I agree it is better then nothing, but you won't ever get the hit rate that Basketball does. Also basketball has its recruiting misses/bust also. Not as frequent as football (many reasons why), but it still happens.
CCDevil2012 wrote: September 27th, 2023, 5:55 pm

Is 34/433/6 stat line as a Redshirt Sophomore stat line really considered a bust or not P5 quality in a WR room that has included Olave, Smith-Njigba, Egbuka, and Harrison JR?
Agree. I do think people were expecting him to be more like Marvin Harrison Jr, and that is why they think less of him. But those stats are still good and he still gets NFL tryouts with that production.