Football State Championships- WHAT IF

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
footballfan1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Football State Championships- WHAT IF

Post by footballfan1 »

I believe PA's first year for football state championships was around 1988 or 1989. What if PA had football state championships before this year? Who in our area could have made a trip to Hershey? Was it 1990 that Bedford had an undefeated team at 10-0 and didn't make the playoffs? They had Keith Williams and Garrett Washington? Jim Benbow? What a loaded team. If the state championships were as they are now, Bedford would have made a run to a trip to Hershey I believe. Ted Nypavers Southern Huntingdon teams in the 1970s and early '80s could have made some runs at it. NBC teams in the 70s with Johnson and Glasgow were excellent teams. Central had some stud teams in the '70s or early '80s with Monte Smith and Mark Raugh. I am not as knowledgeable as a lot of others on this site. Those are some programs that I can remember.

NBC two years ago made a run, and if this year's team had been in that same bracket, I feel they had a really good chance of getting to the title game. Or Windber was AA that year and got beat by Westinghouse and had they been A they would also had a chance of getting there I believe.

Other programs under the WHAT IF before State Football Championships? Area wise?
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Football State Championships- WHAT IF

Post by Manfred »

FH, I believe 1976? Gave up 6 points all YEAR. Mtn. Conference Champs. Coach Brian Basile was a Db on that team.
It ain't over until it's over.
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

1997 Forest Hills loses starting qb to ankle injury against Mccort
Plays district title game against Tyrone, loses.
Every team deals with injuries, but this is by far the biggest what if I have heard over the years.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

I thought the initial question was teams before the late 80's playoffs started?
It ain't over until it's over.
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

footballfan1 wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 7:01 pm I believe PA's first year for football state championships was around 1988 or 1989. What if PA had football state championships before this year? Who in our area could have made a trip to Hershey? Was it 1990 that Bedford had an undefeated team at 10-0 and didn't make the playoffs? They had Keith Williams and Garrett Washington? Jim Benbow? What a loaded team. If the state championships were as they are now, Bedford would have made a run to a trip to Hershey I believe. Ted Nypavers Southern Huntingdon teams in the 1970s and early '80s could have made some runs at it. NBC teams in the 70s with Johnson and Glasgow were excellent teams. Central had some stud teams in the '70s or early '80s with Monte Smith and Mark Raugh. I am not as knowledgeable as a lot of others on this site. Those are some programs that I can remember.

NBC two years ago made a run, and if this year's team had been in that same bracket, I feel they had a really good chance of getting to the title game. Or Windber was AA that year and got beat by Westinghouse and had they been A they would also had a chance of getting there I believe.

Other programs under the WHAT IF before State Football Championships? Area wise?
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
Roofee
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Roofee »

Footballfan, how can you let out Mike Marshall????? It was the 89 bedford team and it was Greg Washington not Garrett. I played against them in the d5 championship game that year, they were unbelievably good and deserved a shot at the state title. They lost that by I think a half of a point to, was it Blackhawk???? Im probably wrong on that. Anyway, they were a tough freaking team that year!
footballfan1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by footballfan1 »

That team had so many studs was tough to remember them all. What year did Garret graduate? I did forget about Mike Marshall. Which Washington played semi pro or arena football? Was that Garret?
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

Roofee wrote: December 4th, 2023, 8:11 pm Footballfan, how can you let out Mike Marshall????? It was the 89 bedford team and it was Greg Washington not Garrett. I played against them in the d5 championship game that year, they were unbelievably good and deserved a shot at the state title. They lost that by I think a half of a point to, was it Blackhawk???? Im probably wrong on that. Anyway, they were a tough freaking team that year!
They were third in points behind two wpial teams and needed both Steel Valley and Jeannette to lose Jeannette lost to Freeport but Steel Valley won ,the next week Steel Valley had to lose to Freeport, Freeport was winning 14-13 with 20 seconds left but steel valley scored to win the game 20-14 .As a result Steel Valley got the playoff spot

source of information : https://bedfordcountysportshalloffame.c ... 989pdf.pdf
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
Roofee
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Roofee »

Thanks Wrassler, I knew I would get it wrong, I just remember it came down to the very end. They were so freaking good and so dang physical. Great team. Football fan, Mike Marshall played arena ball, Garrett graduated in the early to mid 80's from Ridge I believe, he played at jmu not sure if he played any after that.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

In 1989, I was 8 years old and lived on John Street, directly across from the front of the high school. I was allowed to walk across to the games and remember watching the games in 89-90. I don't remember much other than Greg Washington being a stud. I was already hooked on football by this time but I really fell in love with it since it was the first football I ever got to see in person.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches