Rule changes

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Rule changes

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

With the free throw changes in basketball, are there any changes that you would like to see in the rules for football?

I think we would all agree that 4 straight state titles should bump your classification regardless of transfers.

What else would improve the game?
CRUSHER92
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: Rule changes

Post by CRUSHER92 »

4 classes
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

6 classes is awesome.

The rules I don’t care for:
1. Don’t treat a FG like a punt. If you try a FG from the 5 and miss it, it’s a touchback and the other team gets the ball at the 20. Risk it from 50 yards out and the ball is not kicked well at all and rolls dead on the 2. It’s the same as a punt.

Nope. Dumb.

2. In the world of co-ops why count a co-op as .5. If the coop provides you with 100 potential players they shouldn’t be counted as 50. There are 100. You have 80 boys and coop with a school of 60 more and another school of 60 more. That’s 200. The count though is 80+30+30. 140. Now we have an A school instead of a decent sized AA. A person is a person. Co-ops are fine I just don’t understand this method for counting potential players.

Charters and Private schools should have special rules for counting enrollments as well.

3. A play clock rule. 3:00 to go. Your opponent is up by 6. They run the play clock down to 2 and just so happen to false start. The play clock now sets to 25 and the game clock gets wound again. The team now took over 60 seconds off the clock. Teams shouldn’t be able to run more than 40 seconds off the clock.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
Husker33
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Husker33 »

I agree with all of these points. I would add that the non-boundary schools (city schools such as Philly and Pittsburgh & private/charter) shouldn't be allowed below AAA.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

“Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.”
-Henry Ford

“Gentleman, this is a football. Before we’re through, we’re gonna run it down everybody’s throats.”
-Vince Lombardi
IToldYouSo
Freshman
Freshman

Post by IToldYouSo »

Please add uncatchable pass. Some of these defensive pass interferences are ridiculous.
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

I think they should start the game clock on a run or completed pass play that goes out of bounds once the ball is spotted. This is the same rule they use in the NFL and college.

With high school football using more passing, the game has slowed down (or appeared to) substantially.

When it’s under 2:00 in the half, then let the clock stay stopped.

Several high school games are beginning to push the three hour mark. With 12:00 quarters, a 15:00 halftime, and no media timeouts (or a few brief ones), games should be finished in the 2 to 2 1/2 hour range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

HSD6FAN wrote: December 20th, 2023, 10:46 pm I think they should start the game clock on a run or completed pass play that goes out of bounds once the ball is spotted. This is the same rule they use in the NFL and college.

High school and pro have the same out of bounds rule. The player has to step out voluntarily for the clock to stop. Being forced or tackled out of bounds or going backwards to get out of bounds doesn’t stop the clock in high school, college, or pro
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

CCDevil2012 wrote:
HSD6FAN wrote: December 20th, 2023, 10:46 pm I think they should start the game clock on a run or completed pass play that goes out of bounds once the ball is spotted. This is the same rule they use in the NFL and college.

High school and pro have the same out of bounds rule. The player has to step out voluntarily for the clock to stop. Being forced or tackled out of bounds or going backwards to get out of bounds doesn’t stop the clock in high school, college, or pro
False, high school and pro is not the same. However, you are correct about they need to be moving forward to stop the clock.

In the NFL, the clock stops when a player runs out of bounds. Once the ball is spotted, the official winds the clocks and it runs before the snap. (The clock only stays stopped when it’s under 5:00 to go in the half.) This is why NFL games seem to move along better (with the exception of tv timeouts).

In high school, when a player goes out of bounds moving forward, the clock stops and doesn’t restart until the next snap.

guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

Coach wrote: December 17th, 2023, 7:11 am 6 classes is awesome.

The rules I don’t care for:
1. Don’t treat a FG like a punt. If you try a FG from the 5 and miss it, it’s a touchback and the other team gets the ball at the 20. Risk it from 50 yards out and the ball is not kicked well at all and rolls dead on the 2. It’s the same as a punt.

Nope. Dumb.

2. In the world of co-ops why count a co-op as .5. If the coop provides you with 100 potential players they shouldn’t be counted as 50. There are 100. You have 80 boys and coop with a school of 60 more and another school of 60 more. That’s 200. The count though is 80+30+30. 140. Now we have an A school instead of a decent sized AA. A person is a person. Co-ops are fine I just don’t understand this method for counting potential players.

Charters and Private schools should have special rules for counting enrollments as well.

3. A play clock rule. 3:00 to go. Your opponent is up by 6. They run the play clock down to 2 and just so happen to false start. The play clock now sets to 25 and the game clock gets wound again. The team now took over 60 seconds off the clock. Teams shouldn’t be able to run more than 40 seconds off the clock.
Co-op thing is interesting… issue is (at least in this area) that if they counted everyone the “intake” school wouldn’t want to do the co-op probably and then you have kids who don’t get to play…. Anyway… play clock rule. This rule does exist. If the official feels this occurred they have the authority to rule the clock not start until the snap….. getting an official to call it?? That’s another story….
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

I agree with Coach on the coop rule. Total enrollment should be counted. Ironically it used to be counted that way and I believe that Virgil Palumbo was instrumental in getting the 50% rule passed. HR can correct me if I am wrong on that.

In addition I believe the first coop ever in the state was in 1989 when Shanksville co-oped with Shade for football.
"I'm your huckleberry"